inVerse

Hello, how are you?

I found the new InVerse plugin fantastic. Really very good!

But there is a bug, so far at least, I checked this. It is not picking up active users in the database correctly, that is, if the user is marked as inactive, it is listed in the inVerse contact base. See the figures below:

Figure 1. User disabled.

** Figure 2.** inVerse - Listing disabled user.

Thank you!

I installed the version of inVerse 3.1.0 Release 1 and the error is also in this version.

With your screenshot for the user on the openfire console, the icon is grey which would imply that the user has no online presence. Do you have a screenshot showing the user online within the sessions tab?

I don’t think this is a bug with the inVerse plugin. If I understand things correctly, the scenario is:

• There are (at least) two users in Openfire
  • user A has user B in his contact list
  • user B gets disabled - I think the proper term for this is “locked out”, right?
    Now, you expect that user B is no longer shown on the contact list of user A.

This expectation is false. Although user B is no longer allowed to log in, the user is still part of the system: the user is not removed. People that have their user on their contact list will not see this user online.

The user is not offline and yes, disactivating. So deactivated users should not be shown inVerse

Although the user to be part of the base, because was not excluded, but disabled, he would not have to appear in the listing of users of the inVerse like offline.

Consider disable like “locked out”.

What I am saying that should happen is what happens today with the Spark.

Another point, but that is improvement, would be to have a button or link to log off the interface. Imagine in an organization where for some reason, does not have a computer per professional, ie a computer can be used by professionals N. I work in a health organization and this is common.

Fabiano Moura wrote:

What I am saying that should happen is what happens today with the Spark.

Not true. Locked out users still appear in Spark. Maybe you just have disabled showing offline users in Spark. Locking out a user is meant to forbid a user to login, not to hide it in contact list. To hide a user either remove it from a shared group, from user’s roster or delete it. There is no option to hide a user. Although i have asked for this myself in here [OF-243] Add ability to hide account (automatically or manually) - IgniteRealtime JIRA but that might go against XMPP standards, i think. So removing a user from a group when it leaves the company for a long time is the only option now (what we do at our place).

That gives you this option then, anyway, if the account is locked, off, no matter the term used, it’s rather strange that it still shows in the group.

Also, something is missing to make the logoff.

Nothing strange. It just wasn’t meant to do what you want. It’s the same as in LDAP. If you disable user in AD, it is still showing in security and distribution groups. Until you remove it from groups.

Okay, but we’re talking about a chat service! What is the purpose of showing a disabled user?

If it really bothers someone, then remove it from a group or set your client to not show offline users. In our place nobody would care about disabled user being in the group i think (there are always plenty of offline users). But we still remove long absent users from the groups to keep it clean.

They are different things. Maybe for an application X or service Y, it makes sense to show deactivated users, but for services of communication, none!

Anyway, the system is the Ignite Realtime and by the way, they will not change, even not having any logic.

O.K. Thank you!

Again, the creators of the “Lock out” feature (these were original Openfire developers ~15 years ago) probably thought of it to only disable the login for the locked user. So it works as they intended and Spark, inVerse and other clients work ok, as the user is not removed from the list. There is a feature request (which i have posted a link for) to add an option to hide the user. Although, there is most probably no “hide” option in XMPP. So the only way to implement a temporary hiding of a user would be to remove all presence subscriptions (removing it from other users rosters) and save them somewhere to add them back once it is not hidden anymore. That sounds too complex for an action which could be accomplished by admin by just pressing X in the group and later adding that user back into group. And this only would apply to shared groups. If someone have added a contact manually to their personal roster, you shouldn’t mess with personal roster by removing users (you could, but it wouldn’t be a good practice). Say in Skype for Business if you have added someone to your roster, it will stay there even when this user is DELETED from the system (speaking about logic). A user has to manually remove such non-existing users from his contacts. In AD if you disable a user, it is still showing in the address book unless you remove it from the groups or mark “hide in the address list” option. Hey, the feature request is here. If you or someone can come up with the patch, it might be applied. Ignite Realtime team is volunteer based. There is not enough time for everything.

As for the log out option in inVerse. This sounds reasonable, though as it is based on another product (Converse) it might require support for this in that library first. [OF-1361] Add an option to log out in inVerse client - IgniteRealtime JIRA

1 Like

You can log out by using the drop-down box that controls your presence (“online”, “busy”, “away”). There’s a logout option there.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Latest InVerse plugin doesn’t work with IE