IRC Transport Breaks XMPP MUC?

My question is how to configure OpenFire to force clients to use XMPP MUC over IRC when the IRC transport is enabled. When I enable IRC for my clients they all get the error “No Response From Server” when they try to create an ad-hock conference. I turned debug logging on and the issue appears to happen when clients are not registered with IRC. Disabling IRC solved the issue. Is this behavior by design?

I am using OpenFire 3.4.2 and Spark 2.5.8. I confirmed this behavior with OpenFire 3.4.1 as well.

Here are the relavent logs:

2007.12.10 09:15:23 Received iq packet: <iq id=“NQ71J-98” to="jtaylor_a1a@conference.irc.chat.xxxxx.edu" type=“get” from="jtaylor@chat.xxxxx.edu/spark"><query xmlns=“http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info”/></iq>

2007.12.10 09:15:23 irc: Sending packet: <iq type=“error” id=“NQ71J-98” from="jtaylor_a1a@conference.irc.chat.xxxxx.edu" to="jtaylor@chat.xxxxx.edu/spark"><error code=“403” type=“auth”><forbidden xmlns=“urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas”/></error></iq>

2007.12.10 09:15:23 Received presence packet: <presence id=“NQ71J-99” to="jtaylor_a1a@conference.irc.chat.xxxxx.edu/Jonathon Taylor" from="jtaylor@chat.xxxxx.edu/spark"><x xmlns=“http://jabber.org/protocol/muc”/></presence>

2007.12.10 09:15:23 Unable to find session.

2007.12.10 09:15:23 irc: Sending packet: <message type=“error” to="jtaylor@chat.xxxxx.edu/spark" from=“conference.irc.chat.xxxxx.edu”><error code=“503” type=“cancel”><service-unavailable xmlns=“urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas”/></error><body>You are not currently logged into the IRC transport.</body></message>

I’m not following exactly, but XMPP MUC shouldn’t be affected by IRC’s MUC implementation. But yes, you are required to be registered with the IRC transport to use IRC’s MUC implementation. Otherwise there’s no attachment of your account to an IRC account, which is necessary for it to function correctly.

The error occurs when we try to create a conference between two or more

clients who are not even registered with IRC. So what appears to be

happening is that instead of using the XMPP conference services it is

defaulting to the IRC conference service and throwing an exception becuase

the users aren’t registered with the IRC gateway. I’m just wondering if

there is a way to leave IRC enabled since some users do have IRC accounts but

force MUC that is initiated via the Spark “Invite to conference” feature to

use the XMPP service.

This is not urgent as the IRC users are few and perhaps it is my lack of

understaning how the MUC services work.

Thanks!

It -ought- to be using the main XMPP conference service. That’s rather bizarre that it’s not. =( I can’t duplicate it at the moment. Anyone else running into this? Is it only invite to conference?

I agree Yes, it appears to only occur using the invite to conference

feature.

I’m also having this problem, I’m wondering if it’s only on Spark clients. The problem is, instead of just having conference.server.domain.name in the Conferences tab of Spark, I’ve also got a conference.irc.server.domain.name and unfortunately Spark chooses to search the conference.irc service first (which doesn’t exist I don’t have an IRC gateway registered?) So it errors out with “Unable to connect to service” or something along that lines. Again this happened with Openfire 3.4.4 server, and Spark 2.5.8 server is on Solaris 10 U4. I can reproduce it 100% with the spark client, and having all the non-beta plugins enabled (I think the big thing is have the IRC gateway enabled).

Yeah, it is definitely a Spark bug. Sigh. Being the lead developer of Spark now though, I’ll see what I can do. hehhehe

SPARK-962