IRC-Transport

Some questions about the IRC-Transport

1. Is there a way to get the auto-join feature of MUC-Bookmarks to work? I tried with Psi. It does not work, because the user needs to login at the transport before he is able to join rooms.
  2. I have some problems with German umlauts (e.g. ÄÖÜäöü), probablly a charset problem. (utf8 <=> latin1) Any ideas?
  3. Is it possible to connect to multiple IRC-Servers? (I found an old thread about this, but maybe it is implemented now )

Coolcat

@2.:

I found GATE-165, seems to be not implemented.

1. Why IRC-commands do not work? E.g. /nick, /help or some server commands.**

Coolcat wrote:

Some questions about the IRC-Transport

1. Is there a way to get the auto-join feature of MUC-Bookmarks to work? I tried with Psi. It does not work, because the user needs to login at the transport before he is able to join rooms.
  2. I have some problems with German umlauts (e.g. ÄÖÜäöü), probablly a charset problem. (utf8 <=> latin1) Any ideas?
  3. Is it possible to connect to multiple IRC-Servers? (I found an old thread about this, but maybe it is implemented now )

Coolcat

1. nope, not supported at this time

2. i think you found the issue related to that

3. nope, not supported.

4. I don’t intend to support irc commands. if you want an irc client, use an irc client =) the transport uses all XMPP actions to accomplish what it needs to do (ie you would need to join an irc room like you would any MUC conference room)

Mr. Henninger,

We have an IRC server and an Openfire 3.5.2 server with IM Gateway loaded. We are able to get our PSI clients to connect through the Gateway one at a time. If we want to connect another client, we have to disconnect the first client and connect the second. Is there a way to get them to all connect together? Please help.

V/r,

David

The count of clients per IP-address is often limited on IRC-servers. When connecting via IRC-transport, all clients will have the transports IP-address. Maybe this is the problem…

I did think of that but could not find any settings on our IRC server that dictated the amount of users per IP (not saying I did not miss something). I’ll keep looking into it. Thank you.

Coolcat,

Sorry to ask a really dumb question but do you know of an IRCD that will allow the max users per IP to be changed or at least allow multiple users per IP by default? As you can probably tell, I am new to the IRC game (more comfortable with Adobe Connect and Openfire (as a XMPP server)). Thanks!!

V/r,
Dave

sorry, have no clue. I’m running an Jabber-Server, not an IRC-Server

You should probably ask that in an IRCd-community.

Coolcat or anyone else,

I found an IRCd that met the needs I have…thanks

Here is a question (I believe more relative to the topic)…

Is there a way through IM Gateway to list the IRC chatrooms? I know that there are no typical IRC commands in the IM Gateway written for Openfire (XMPP).

Thanks,
Dave

Is there a way through IM Gateway to list the IRC chatrooms?
Yes, just activate it:

Gateways → IRC → Option → Allow MUC room list

BUT, on large public servers it will block the users client for minutes while loading that list!!

… thanks . I had this completed but I did not know about right-clicking on IRC Transport and going to browse…wadda noob I am.

I appreciate your help Coolcat; have a good day.

Dave