Issue installing on Windows NT

Hello all.

I’‘m having an issue with regards to installing Openfire on a Windows NT server (service pack 4.0). The installer doesn’‘t work properley. It throws an UnsatisifedLinkError. Any ideas on how to get around this? I thought about installing on another machiene and then copying the installation folder over to the NT server, but that doesn’'t work either.

Lee

I know this doesn’'t help, but…are you sure you want to use an operating system, which is more than 10 years old? If your machine is accessible from the Internet it is only a matter of time when it will be part of a botnet, sending Spam mails or doing similar things…

An unsupported, 10 year old OS at that. I’'d personally either get a cheap copy of Windows 2003 (I wonder if the web edition would work) or a free Linux derivative.

Even if you could get Openfire working on NT, as an admin surely you’'d not have much confidence in it? (probably old hardware, unsupported OS for the software, unsupported unpatched OS etc).

Your preaching to the converted. Unfortunately, the organisation I work for has NT so tightly integrated into their system that replacing it with a newer version of windows or other operating system is null and void

I’‘m not sure how that could be so, but I’'ll take your word for it.

How have you dealt with other applications released in the last 5 years? Surely most modern applications won’'t run on NT? You could package the install, and literally apply the exact changes the package made to the NT box.

However, I’'d personally be spending my time attempting to work out a way of getting the company into this century rather than nice-to-haves like internal IM servers.

Does you company have a policy on Unix, or does everything have to be NT?

Hi,

hopefully http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=139905 helps you.

LG

We do have UNIX servers as well. But they are running with JAVA 1.4

Hi,

installing Sun’'s JRE 1.5 or JRE 1.6 and Openfire is not a problem on most linux server, you can do this as user “jive” without “root” permissions as desribed here: http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/LinuxInstallationGuide

I had no look some months ago with IBM’‘s JRE on AIX as Jetty relied and probably still relies on Sun’'s SSL classes.

LG

That would be great, but we don’'t have Linus servers, we do have UNIX servers running JAVA 1.4. And we cant upgrade to the latest version of java because of “business processes”. Is it possible to bundle a JRE with the UNIX build of openfire?

Hi,

Linux is also a UNIX version, so I wonder if you are running HPUX, Solaris or something similar. Anyway your UNIX vendor should be able to help you to install a new java version which does not affect the current java installation if this is possible. It may be impossible if Java 1.5 requires a new UNIX/OS level.

LG

unfortunately we cannot upgrade the version of Java on our UNIX servers due to Legacy programmes that use Java 1.4. The organisation I work for do not wish to spend money testing the current applications with later versions of Java. Is there a way of bundling in a JRE with the UNIX archive build?

You can buy a dual core machine from Dell for under $500. I would invest in one of those. Seriously increase your options and performance too.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostrodt_200mt?c=us&cs= 04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab

Hi,

I don’‘t know which programs and Unix you are using but on Unix it should be possible to create a user “jive”, “chmod 700 /home/jive” and install the 1.6 JRE in /home/jive/jre1.6.0-u2 and the 1.5 JRE in /home/jive/jre1.5.0-15 and none of the running applications will be able to use one of the new installed JRE’‘s. So no one needs to test anything and if you install Openfire in /home/jive/openfire and run it as user jive you don’'t need root access.

LG

If I were to purchase new Dell servers then that would mean spending approximately £5000, as we need about ten sites worth. On top of that is the supprot and maintenance for those new servers in addition to the servers we currently use. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think I may havbe to play about with the install4j build mechansim to see if I can create a UNIX installation with a bundled JRE.

Hello all,

I saw in a web site of a University in Australia, that the last version of JDK 1.5 that works correctly in Windows NT (SP6) is release 05 (i.e, jdk-1_5_0_05-windows-i586-p.exe).

I have verified this, and it is correct: JDK 1.5 version 05 works perfectly on Windows NT (SP6), but subsequent versions (06, 07, …, 13, …) do not work at all.

JDK 1.5 release 05 can be downloaded from:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

or more specifically from:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/5.0_05/index.html

Best Regards

Victor M. Toro

I know it’s a bit late to comment. But why not install some linux distro in that NT machine? I was doing this at our company, because nobody will give me money to buy new servers and we have some unused XP machines with 64 or 256MB of RAM. They are slow with XP, Office, antivirus, but they gare ood for small internal linux servers.