Issues Installing Openfire on a Windows Server

Hi I am an Intern at a company and I am in charge of installing Spark and Openfire. I have a few questions:

I am installing openfire on 2008 R2, and I am getting a few errors.

I run through the set up GUI and I can get it to integrate with AD and add administrators but when I launch the consle I get a bunch of Java stuff. See Below

Also I would like more inofrmation as I can not find documentation on more AD integration. For instance automatic log ins for clients, also automatic contacts so that if a new person logs in they get X Y Z groups automatically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Doug

Error Below

________________________________________________________________________________ _____-

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /setup/setup-admin-settings.jsp. Reason:

Server Error

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp._jspServ ice(setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp.java:99)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:530)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1216)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1187)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:74)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1187)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:164)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:425)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:494)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:93 3)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:362)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:867 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler Collection.java:245)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.jav a:126)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:113)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:334)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:559)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConne ction.java:992)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:541)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:203)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:406)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:4 62)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:436)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am not sure about your install for windows as I use it on Linux, but for the groups, you can use AD groups. That way when a new user is added in a group in the AD, it will be added automatically in Openfire.

For SSO (single sign on), you can read a bit on the forum if you do some research. There are many post on that subject.

Right click it and “run as admin”. I had similar problems even though I was logged in as a domain admin, still had to choose “run as…” to get it working.

Once you’ve got it all set up, most management is done through the web gui. SSO (automatic login) is a PITA, but you can give it a whirl if you want:

http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-1060

New users should automatically see all the groups that their group can see, so you shouldn’t have to do anything special for that.

1 Like