JAVA start issues on initial launch

Typical of what I’‘m seeing on many posts, I’'m having an issue with starting java on my VPS dedicated server. When I initially downloaded Wildfire, I installed Java 1.5.0_07 in my system (red hat linux) - when I run /opt/wildfire/bin/wildfire start I get the typical:

testing JVM in /opt/wildfire/jre …

testing JVM in /usr …

testing JVM in /usr/java/jre1.5.0_07 …

No suitable Java Virtual Machine could be found on your system.

The version of the JVM must be at least 1.5.

Please define INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME to point to a suitable JVM.

You can also try to delete the JVM cache file /root/.install4j

Deleting the cache was not successful, and I thought that at first it MAYBE still doesn’'t see the java in the startup script, so I:

1. Uncomment the following line to override the JVM search sequence

INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE=’’/usr/java/jre1.5.0_07’’

1. Uncomment the following line to add additional VM parameters

2. INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS=

Still not successful - and it must be a java heap issue as I’'m seeing in other posts, because sh -x /opt/wildfire/bin/wildfire start gives me more than a few lines of:

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Ending with the typical:

• echo No suitable Java Virtual Machine could be found on your system.

No suitable Java Virtual Machine could be found on your system.

• echo The version of the JVM must be at least 1.5.

The version of the JVM must be at least 1.5.

• echo Please define INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME to point to a suitable JVM.

Please define INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME to point to a suitable JVM.

• echo You can also try to delete the JVM cache file /root/.install4j

You can also try to delete the JVM cache file /root/.install4j

• exit 83

The question I have is how do I adjust the java space for object heap? I have little experience in managing Java, I’‘ve avoided it like the plague for the most part, but I’‘d love to try this application over jabberd installations, I’‘ve heard great things. Is it simply my server can’'t handle this type of application? I am using the low level: http://mediatemple.net/services/webhosting/dv/linux-standard/ for the time being, though I can upgrade if need be. I appreciate the help, thank you!

Hi,

try it with

#! /bin/sh
INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_07
INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS=''-Xms8m -Xmx16m -Xss128k -Xoss128k''

and if you don’‘t use IPv6 add also ‘’ -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true’’ to INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS

Xms is the initial heap, Xmx the max heap, Xss and Xoss may have no impact on linux-java while they usually configure the java thread stack sizes. Please visit http://www.tagtraum.com/gcviewer-vmflags.html for a better explanation of these parameters.

Don’'t use the embedded database if possible as it consumes also some memory. There are some other threads which mention problems while using Wildfire on vservers so using a dedicated server may be much better.

LG

Thank you for the response, and the link to read more about those values (extremely helpful). It stills seems to pop out the same error message even after adjusting the values - which means it might be bad to try this on VPS. There isn’'t anything I need to refresh or upload after I change those numbers, possibly?

Edit:

I tried your recommendation on this post and commented out exit 83 with the app_java:

echo You can also try to delete the JVM cache file $HOME/.install4j

#exit 83

app_java_home=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_07

fi

So far, it seems to have done the trick, atleast I see a setup in 9090, so we’‘ll see how it runs on this type of system, if it even runs at all! Thanks for the help, I’'ll post up again if it just bombs out or if it works good:)

Message was edited by: bradyj

I think that was the ticket - many thanks for your guidance and support, I would NOT have figured that one out on my own:) It looks like it’‘s up and running perfectly fine, I don’'t see why there would be a VPS problem, but it seems perfect so far.