JBoss 4 deployment?

I’‘ve got the standard install of Jive Messenger 2.2.2 installed and working. Now I’‘m trying to compile and deploy the war on JBoss 4.0.3. I’‘ve looked at several posts and the web app knowledge base post but haven’'t had success with my deployment.

Has any one got it working on JBoss? Maybe I should try the 2.3 beta src?

UPDATE: I just found this bug report: JM-424 - so maybe JBoss deployment isn’'t possible right now. Running JM as a JBoss app would rock, though!

Hey Pat,

Feel free to vote the JM-242 jira issue to raise its priority. Anyway, I will try to find some time during this weekend to implement those changes so you can try it with JBoss. BTW, what errors are you seeing? Try using the latest nightly build and let us know.

Regards,

– Gato

Hey Pat,

The improvement has been implemented. You can try using the next nightly build or just get the code from the repository (SVN). Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

– Gato

Gato,

Great job! So far the latest code in the svn repo works. I’'m just testing now on my laptop using JBoss 4.0.3 and the local HSQL Database. (I will test on our Linux server and MySQL later, but that should work too.)

I just had to extract (jar or unzip) the war file and create a classes dir and put messenger_init.xml there (maybe another existing location would work, but I knew that would) and put messengerHome in c:\jive for easy configuration. I renamed the exploded folder to messenger.war and copied it to my JBoss server/default/deploy directory and started it up!

One note is that some of the jsp/html files reference “/” (root webapp) and since I’‘ve deployed as “messenger”, first page (index.html) redirects wrong - I just had to type index.jsp (http://localhost:8080/messenger/index.jsp) to get the page up. Also the admin console page for jive is looking in the root (/images/header-help.gif) for the help image which is broken - but that’'s not a big deal. Other images, such as on the User Summary page, work fine.

I’'d love to see more/better/easier deployment on JBoss, but this is great so far!

Thanks again and great job!

Now that this works, I guess my question is answered! Thanks! I’'m looking forward to see how Jive Messenger evolves!

Hey Pat,

Thanks for pointing those issues. They have been fixed so you can try them with the next nightly build or just grab the code from the repository. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

– Gato

Gato,

Yup, that did the trick. Now it seems to be working great!

I’'ll be sure to let you know if I run into any other bugs.

I’'m interested in where this thread - http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=102692 - is going as well as Jive and JBoss.

I’‘m not sure the path Jive is going, but it’'s really great. Any thoughts on deploying Jive Messenger as a JBoss MBean? (Not sure if that makes sense, but I had thoughts about doing such a thing. I should probably take any further discussion to the dev forum…)

Thanks again!

Hey Pat,

I think that it would be interesting to have Jive Messenger running as a JBoss service. We are not planning to implement this feature in the near future. Anyway, from the documentation I read it seems that it shouldn’'t be that hard to make it work. If you are planning to implement it then let us know if you need any help. I created the issue JM-448 so people can vote for it to raise its priority in the TODO list.

Regards,

– Gato

Gato,

Thanks for creating the issue - I already voted it up! I’‘m currently swamped with other code for the most part, but if I get some time I’'d love to see what I can do.

-Pat