powered by Jive Software

JID Aliasing when also using LDAP

We need to have a feature where the user can control their IM ID. This ID would then point to their static userID in LDAP so if they change their IM ID…they’'ll still see all the contacts in their list.

So I’'m basically wondering if there is an aliasing feature or some sort of 3rd party aliasing to handle this.

I don’‘t think this is a feature of JM at this point…but I’'ve received orders to make this a reality somehow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes.

jiver,

By “ID”, do you mean their JID? It would help us understand what you’'re requesting better if you could explain why your users want this feature. In any case, it would probably require a custom implementation of LDAPUserProvider that had the mapping logic in it.

-Matt

I do mean their JID.

The reason for the request is this…

We’'re in a univ environment and want to give students internal IM capabilities, but also provide them w/ a lifetime IM account as well.

The problem is that when they graduate, we need to change their userID to something unique because our non-alumni IDs get recycled.

Their JID is currently identical to their userID in LDAP. I guess that it may be better to add another field to their LDAP record called JID or something.

Their JID is currently identical to their userID in

LDAP. I guess that it may be better to add another

field to their LDAP record called JID or something.

Yep, that would be a good solution. So, they’‘d get a lifetime unique JID from the start that they get to pick? The other option would be to assign unique userIDs right from the start (probably good for email). I’'ve seen other schools do this --john.smith_08@example.edu to represent an expected graduation date of 2008.

-Matt