Jira cleanup!

Hi,

During the past 6 months, I have made roughly 3 trips thru all open bugs in Jira against Openfire. There are roughly 200 bugs that I would call orphan or in need of evaluation. I bumped some of them attempting to get updated information, but I suspect the relevant people were not ‘watching’ the ticket.

Anyway, I would like to focus more on this and attempt to get the bug database current.

For Jive: I could use higher privs in Jira. I don’t seem to be able to reassign tickets or create release points.

I think something different should be done with the 3.x release point. Instead, I like what Pidgin does and have a ‘Patches Welcome’ release point to assign some of these tickets too.

Also, I believe voting should only occur on RFEs. Voting on actual defects annoys me. What are we saying? ‘We only care about bugs that are popular?’ All bugs should be fixed, IMHO

For the rest of us, do you think this is a worthwhile effort? My personal opinion is that the high quality open source projects almost always have quality bug tracking.

daryl

I bumped some of them attempting to get updated information, but I suspect the relevant people were not ‘watching’ the ticket.

If people could report bugs on their own they would automatically receive updates and be available for questions without having to explicitly watch the issues. This is one of the reasons why I would prefer to open issue creation for everybody.

Also, I believe voting should only occur on RFEs. Voting on actual defects annoys me. What are we saying? ‘We only care about bugs that are popular?’ All bugs should be fixed, IMHO

Yes but we can’t fix them all at once, so voting might me an instrument to prioritize fixes.

For the rest of us, do you think this is a worthwhile effort? My personal opinion is that the high quality open source projects almost always have quality bug tracking.
I fully agree. And it would be one place for all relevant information. Having it distributed in the forums, in documents, etc. isn’t such a good thing. Maybe we can use Jira labels if we need lists for community patches and the like.

I do agree that Jira needs a cleanup. Maybe it could be done in a more drastic way. If we dont get any response from the original reporter and cant reproduce it, maybe we should close such a ticket. If there is doubts about some of them, we can post it here and then all group members will look through it and try to reproduce and decide what to do with that ticket. Would be nice for Jive to do such cleaning on their side too.

I agree about voting. Bugs should be on top of the developers list.

srt wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I would prefer to open issue creation for everybody.

If a reporter is smart enough to be able to create a new account and file a bug himself, then i think he will notice Watch issue link in the actions panel and use it. Of course, he can do this if a person who has filed this bug has also given a Jira link to him. After a few years spent in the Ignite forums i doubt there will be a significant growth of new tickets if Jive will open it to everybody.

After a few years spent in the Ignite forums i doubt there will be a significant growth of new tickets if Jive will open it to everybody.

Sometimes one will see spam in JIRA, opening it will also increase spam there. So I prefer keeping it closed. A `bug report´ template within the forum which requires to enter at least a “test case” would allow everyone to create bug reports here which then can be transfered to JIRA without much effort.

Some bugs were solved and not closed, so there are a few issues which could be closed.

LG