Jive 2.3.0 - Connection closed before session established

Hi,

I’'m a first-time user of this software and am hoping to replace IRC at our company with a Jabber-based service. Today I downloaded Jive 2.3.0 for Linux and Spark 1.0.0 for Windows. The installation went well and there were no issues. I have added a few plugins (broadcast, search, filter). I have configured Jive to use LDAP authentication from our Active Directory server.

My problem is that I have not been able to log in using Spark; I get an error message “Invalid username or password”. However, the message in the error log is:

2005.12.01 15:52:25 org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:153) Connection closed before session established

Socket[addr=/192.168.1.207,port=3809,localport=5222]

I have seen a few references to this error in the mailing lists but it seems to be mainly related to server-to-server setups, which does not apply here.

Could someone please let me know if this is a known issue or has been resolved?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael.

You are seeing that error when logging into your Spark client, correct? I’‘m not an expert on spark and I don’‘t want this to be condescending (so I apologize if it sounds that way, i don’‘t mean it that way). Make sure you have the server name exactly the same as you see on the server properties page of the admin console. If you are using AD to authenticate, then I’‘m assuming your accounts are already setup, so you don’'t have to create an account. Check the debug log also to find some useful error messages. It might not be a client issue but a server issue. Can you post more info about your server config?

HTH…

PM.

I get a ton of those messages, too. If you see, it’‘s using port 5222, which means it’'s a client connection. I have 2 theories why you would see that message:

1. The client is doing , and disconnecting itself to start an SSL session. When that happens the error is logged since they never established a Jabber session.

2. The client is trying to use SSL 2.0. If you turn on and look at your debug log, do you see a bunch of exceptions like this? These correspond based on the time to the exceptions I see in the error log:

2005.12.01 10:30:16 SSL Connect 109506d[SSL_NULL_WITH_NULL_NULL: Socket[addr=/xxxxxxxx,port=3504,localport=5223]]

2005.12.01 10:30:16 Error creating session

javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unsupported SSL v2.0 ClientHello

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.handleUnknownRecord(InputRecord.java:4 53)

at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(InputRecord.java:343)

I am guessing that whatever client is attempting to connect is attempting SSL 2.0 before 3.0?

Who knows…

PM, don’'t worry about being condescending. My problem was pretty darn basic!

I completely missed the comment characters which surround the LDAP configuration in jive-messenger.xml!!! All along my configuration wasn’'t even being used!!

My tail is now tucked between my legs and I thank you for your assistance,

Michael