Jive Messenger 2.2.0 RC1 & Server2Server messaging

I just downloaded RC1, and have built 2 Jabber machines to test out Server 2 Server communications.

I’'ve got two machines: ZIM - 192.168.0.100 and GIR - 192.168.0.200 .

I’'ve got Jabber 2.2.0 RC1 on each, using MS SQL 7.0 as the back end database.

I have configured both S2S as following:

1. S2S - Enabled on port 5269 for both

2. Idle Connection Close - Never

3. Allowed to connect - White List (ZIM has GIRs IP listed, and GIR has ZIMs IP listed)

I’'ve created two users on each machine, and put both in a public roster which is published.

However; I have no inter-server connections at all. I tried adding the onling user on GIR to my contact list on ZIM. It shows pending on ZIM, but nothing on GIR.

The machines are connected with a 10MBit hub.

My Jabber client is eXodus 0.9.1.0

Is there something else I need to do to enable S2S? I wouldn’'t put it past it being me :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

==============================================================

“It was MEEEEE! I was the turkey all ALONG!!!” - GIR

Hey Pixel,

Is it working now?

Regards,

– Gato

Nope. I’'ve had the servers sitting there & still no interserver communication.

Thoughts?

Ah! I see… It was released yesterday.

Man; I’'m sharp.

Let me see what happens when I try it with the full version :stuck_out_tongue:

Based on what my configuration settings are, should the new one work?

*fingers crossed

Hey Pixel,

Not many things changed between RC1 and the final release and nothing related to s2s. Could you turn on the debug log on each server so we can have more information of what’'s going on? Remember to post what the info you have now in debug.log. In order to isolate variables, can you set s2s so that any server may connect to your servers?

Regards,

– Gato

I didn’'t think there was. I just finished upgrading each system to final 2.2.0. Did the same test & no interconnectivity.

I can turn on the debug & see what happens. I’‘m going to be leaving work shortly, so I won’'t be able to do it today. I can do it first thing tomrrow.

So if I instruct my servers to publish rosters to everyone; if Server-to-Server is on, the published rosters should show up on both servers right?

Should I see a connection between the servers regardless of client activity?

I’‘ve got the log files from both servers (ZIM & GIR). There isn’‘t anything jumping out at me, but I’'ve got ''em all.

How would I submit the ZIP files (or I can make a single ZIP) to the board, or someone there?

Hey Pixel,

I got your log files and sent you an email with what I found. It seems that it is a permission issue that is preventing the servers to connect successfully.

Let us know how it goes

Regards,

– Gato

Message was edited by:

dombiak_gaston

It doesn’‘t seem to be the case. I’'ve changed the settings to allow all servers to talk to all servers (rather than use a white list). Still no luck.

I’‘m not using DNS at present. I’'m using my host files for DNS as the network is private, and using Win2K Pro for the servers (eventually they will be going Linux).

What should I try? I can send the new log files in if they will help.

Thanks!

Ok; found my first problem: I was using FQDN in my hosts file & that was throwing things off. Once I added host entryies for just the names (ZIM & GIR respectively), they can at least see each other.

However, I can’'t register either with the other. I get amessage box that comes up that says: “Unable to retreive registration form. Reason:”

I can send messages between people if I register them manually in my ‘‘buddly list’’. Can I get my rosters published between the servers?

Looks like I’'m getting closer Thanks for all the help so far!

Hey Pixel,

Could you post the XML packets of the client when he is trying to register. I’'m not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Thanks,

– Gato

I’‘m not exactly sure myself. Let me explain where I’'m at, and perhaps you can point me in the right direction:

I’‘ve gotten ZIM & GIR to talk to each other. If I add someone on ZIM to someone’'s list on GIR they can talk to each other. That much works.

However; my rosters aren’‘t being shared. My thought was, if I create public rosters on both systems then I can have my users “buddy lists” pre-populated for them. They don’'t need to search.

If I go into “Service Discovery”, I can see my servers in “Addesss”. Say I’‘m on GIR, and I pick ZIM. ZIM’‘s info shows up. Thinking that perhaps I need to have the server registered in order to have my rosters come up i right click on “Messenger Service” and one of the options is “Register”. That’'s when I get my error.

I’'ll email my XML capture in just a moment.

Am I completely off-base with the register thing? OR how would I get my rosters shared server-to-server?

Sorry to drag this out for so long. Aside from this one issue, your server is amazing. I’'m looking forward to deploying it!

Hey Pixel,

I think now I understand what you are trying to achieve here.

However; my rosters aren’'t being shared. My thought

was, if I create public rosters on both systems then

I can have my users “buddy lists” pre-populated for

them. They don’'t need to search.

If you are referring to shared groups then I should say that shared groups do not work with remote servers. That means that the shared group can only hold JIDs of local users. That’'s why you can only specify username instead of a complete JID.

If I go into “Service Discovery”, I can see my

servers in “Addesss”. Say I’'m on GIR, and I pick ZIM.

ZIM’'s info shows up. Thinking that perhaps I need to

have the server registered in order to have my

rosters come up i right click on “Messenger Service”

and one of the options is “Register”. That’'s when I

get my error.

Am I completely off-base with the register thing? OR

how would I get my rosters shared server-to-server?

Registering with a server means that you are going to create a new account with that server. It is not possible to be connected to a server and through s2s communication try to create a new account in a remote server. That was a nice try. Another important thing to mention is that each user should log into the server where his account was created. It is not possible to connect to another server using the account of a remote server.

If you are looking for a way to populate the roster of each user with a list of contacts (including local and remote contacts) then I think that you should have to implement some custom solution to do that. JM provides shared groups but it won’'t work with remote addresses. Let me know if you were looking for something else (i.e. I misunderstood your requirement).

Regards,

– Gato

Nope; you answered my question.

Know this; this brings me to one final question.

I hve just been told that our production Jabber server will be on the same machine as our NetMeeting gatekeeper. The two programs shouldn’‘t interfere with each other (that’'s not my worry).

However, it looks like my boss wants me to have the Jabber server running on both NICs (internal & external).

Do I have to run two seperate servers to achieve this? His thought now is, have a single server which we can have peopelr egister to: internal to the company & external. We simple control who is allowed to register, etc.

Would we be better off deploying servers at each site w/ S2S enabled, or going this route?

Thank you so much for all your help. You’'re support is awesome.

There’'s one more question