Jive Messenger Name Change Poll

Hey all,

To follow up on the previous thread I posted on this topic at:

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?threadID=16683

Based on all the positive feedback we got, we’'re going to move forward with a name change. I wanted to get more focused feedback from everyone on the leading name choices:

a) Ignite Server

b) Wildfire Server

c) No strong preference between the two choices

If you can reply to this thread and choose one of those options, we’'d greatly appreciate it. Of course, if you have additional name ideas, those are always welcome too.

Thanks!

-Matt

hey matt, i poll ‘‘C’’ in here,because above two name too complexity we like messenger although it is common.if jive messenger’'s name necessary change,i want name first alphabetic should in between A-N, this is make it more prevailed

tangzhen,

Heh, good point on using letters a-c. Or, we could just add “1” to the front of whatever name we choose so that it get’'s alphabetically listed before anything else.

-Matt

A. I think that’'s a stronger combination with ‘‘Spark’’

You guys can do “voting” on stuff… so how about voting on names? I like top 5 or top 10…

Wildfire

Coldfire

Jive Messenger / Jive Server

My Grandma’'s Server

Wroot’'s Favorite

jDog :stuck_out_tongue:

What’'s-its-name server

that-thang

and other good and bad names…

Put me down for (b) Wildfire.

+1 Ignite

Two things:

1. You should mark this or the other name-change thread as “sticky” so people see it and respond with as many suggestions as possible. Then, there should be a vote among all the suggestions. That seems like the most democratic way of doing things…

2. Instead of Ignite, Blaze might be a better term… it means nearly the same thing and has a double meaning that implies “fast”. It is also a noun, not a verb, which makes it easier to talk about. It also starts with the letter B, which may get it listed higher than most of the other Jabber servers.

For my vote in this thread: b) over a) with write-in votes for: JiveWire, Wire, or Blaze[/b]

My preferences are:

1. Blaze IM Server (best)

2. Ignite IM Server

3. Wildfire IM Server (worst)

Folks,

Actual

Jive Messenger

My Preference

Jive IM Server

I wouldn’‘t change the whole name. I’‘d just maintain the name “Jive” and add “IM Server”. It’'s so simple.

Eduardo

+1 Ignite - Simple, evocative

-1 Wildfire - While also evocative - I think wildfire is more of a negative thing, just makes me picture some out-of-control firey menace destroying everything in its path - don’'t think these are the kind of feelings you guys want to evoke

Alex

I think wildfire is more of a negative thing, just makes me picture some out-of-control >>firey

Ha, someone agrees with me …now that’'s weird!

How about JiveFire or JiveFire Server? Does have a ring eh? Flame on!

Mercury Messenger - it’‘s hot, it’'s fast, it keeps part of the old name for branding

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/index.html

Hey all,

Thanks for all the replies so far! I wanted to answer a few things people brought up:

• Although “Jive IM Server” is a nice and simple name, we have enough products at Jive Software that we can’'t adopt “Jive” as the name of just our IM server.

• The name needs to be something that can be Trademarked. Unfortunately, I think Mercury and Blaze failed those tests when we checked last.

Best Regards,

Matt

+1 WildFire

Any free t-shirts going?

Conor.

Just something for consideration with the Wildfire name…

http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/wildfire/

Josh

• Although “Jive IM Server” is a nice and simple

name, we have enough products at Jive Software that

we can’'t adopt “Jive” as the name of just our IM

server.

• The name needs to be something that can be

Trademarked. Unfortunately, I think Mercury and Blaze

failed those tests when we checked last.

I understand your concerns Matt.

Having recently left my previous job to start my own business I know how tedious the naming game can be.

Can I sugest a quick read of Igor’'s naming guide. Brand Naming Expert: How To Name A Company, Product or Service

One of the things I saw posted was the grammer issue. When naming products, a good technique is to use nouns that also can be verbs. Off the top of my head something like Wisper IM Server.

I’'ll jump back in if I think of any good one.

Peter

What about Fuel?

How about calling the server “Inferno” Inferno Server sounds a bit odd, but Inferno by itself sounds powerful and all-encompassing. It also ties in with Spark, as it takes a Spark to ignite the Inferno.

Sounds like a great slogan to me, “Ignite the Inferno With Spark”

Josh

You might want to check out (on Ignite)…

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/hp/hpux-faq/section-156.html

Not sure if ™ yet…