Jive rosters/groups

Hi,

I would like to create lots of custom rosters for users, but using scripts. There probably aren’‘t any CLI tools already out there to control these groups/rosters? I’‘m assuming I’'ll just have to manipulate these ‘‘directly’’ with SQL.

I’'m using MySQL as my backend. I guess just trying to get a feel if anyone out there has ever used scripting to create lots of different shared rosters for lots of users?

Thanks for any ideas, comments.

–Marc

Hey Marc,

There probably aren’'t any CLI tools already out there to control

these groups/rosters?

Actually, there is, take a look at the shared group feature under the Users/Groups tab in the Admin Console.

You can use SQL to manipulate the users rosters directly but there are some potential gotcha’'s to look out for (like DB changes not being picked up by Messenger for up to six hours).

If the shared group feature doesn’'t meet your needs and you need help with the SQL let me know.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi,

Actually, there is, take a look at the shared group feature under the Users/Groups tab in the Admin Console.

Meaning the web admin interface? That works good for doing a few, but I’‘m going to have lots of rosters for lots of users. Its gotta be done with scripting – I’'m not about to do all of these by hand! =)

I was curious if anyone had already created any ‘‘home-built’’ command line interface tools for managing rosters, but doesn’'t look that way.

Doing the SQL thing sounds good, although the 6-hour-delay thing is kinda strange, eh?

Thanks,

Marc

take a look at usersImportExport plugin, you can generate xml with rosters and then import it to a DB with plugin.

Thats a good idea, but I’‘m using LDAP. It says the ‘‘Import & Export User’’ plugin doesn’'t work with LDAP.

–Marc

Hi Marc,

Meaning the web admin interface? That works good for

doing a few, but I’'m going to have lots of rosters

for lots of users. Its gotta be done with scripting

– I’'m not about to do all of these by hand! =)

I don’'t blame you.

Doing the SQL thing sounds good, although the

6-hour-delay thing is kinda strange, eh?

Yes and no. The delay is a result of the way Messenger caches certain data to improve performance and generally isn’‘t an issue since most people don’‘t jump into database to make changes. Typically, I recommend that if you are manipulating the database directly you do it while Messenger isn’'t running which helps avoid any sort of data integrity issues and with the added bonus of not having to wait up to six hours for the changes you make to take affect.

While you won’'t be able to use the import/export plugin directly you might want to look at the readme.html that comes with it. The file has a list of the different status types and what their associated numbers mean which will be helpful when creating your SQL statements.

If you need any additional help please let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan