Join XSF's Google Summer of Code!

As you might or might not know, the XMPP Standards Foundation has been accepted as a mentoring organization for the 2010 edition of the Google Summer of Code. Amongst others, specific project proposals for the IgniteRealtime community are available. They are being discussed in GSoC 2010 Projects. The deadline for student applications is next Friday (April 9th, 19:00 UTC). If you are interested, head over to the XSF wiki for more information!

As you might or might not have noticed, the list of accepted student proposals was announced

yesterday! Although there have been a number of good Openfire-related proposals, sadly, none of these were accepted.

Although the obvious monetary incentive that is offered by Google is now no longer available, I’m hoping that the students that submitted proposals (and others!) consider to join in on the development effort of Openfire and other IgniteRealtime products anyway!

If you’re interested in helping build Openfire, Smack, or any of the other projects of IgniteRealtime, send me a message. Include a description that tells me to what extend you’d want to contribute, and we’ll take it from there!

FYI, in regards to GSoC item “Reducing the database footprint of Rosters”, nosql referenced meant ‘not only sql’, as I learned recently. Good expository article found on site ‘h-online’.

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/The-H-speed-guide-to-NoSQL-981275.html