Joining GroupChat problem

Hello all,

First thanks to everyone who has been a part of creating Smack. I’'ve been working with it now for a while and it is a thing of beauty. It is simple, easy to understand, and gets done everything I would like it too.

Unfortunately at the moment I am having a problem with creating and joining a GroupChat. I seem to be able to create a groupChat using the connection.createGroupChat() method, but cannot join after that. When I do try to join I get the exception: “No response from the server”. The presence package from the join command is shown as being sent on the DEBUG window but no response from the server comes back. As far as I can tell I’'m doing everything correctly, but I may be missing something. Here is my code:

groupChatSession = connect.createGroupChat

(“test@localhost”);

groupChatSession.addMessageListener(this);

groupChatSession.addParticipantListener(this);

groupChatSession.join(“me”);

I am using the latest Smack-1.2.0 API and using the evaluation Jive Messenger Server to test.

BTW, I noticed that there was an earlier discussion on the forum concerning this problem. TedW posted something back in May but there didn’'t seem to be a clear cut solution to his problem. I would appreciate any help from anyone.

Thanks,

Matt H.

Matt,

Thanks for the positive feedback on Smack!

Are you using the correct chat service name? For example, if your server is named “localhost”, then Jive Messenger will have a default chat server name of “chat.localhost” so you’'d need to try connecting to a chat room at “test@chat.localhost”. Also, can you paste in the XML you send and the XML you get back?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Aha! I knew it must be something I was just missing. Adding the “chat” before localhost worked like a charm. Thank you very much for your quick and accurate response.

Thanks,

Matt H.

Matt,

Glad you got the problem fixed. I’'ll add a note to the GroupChat Javadoc to try to provide better help to people on this issue in the future.

Regards,

Matt