Jvm problems

Hello all,

I’‘m trying to increase the amount of memory dedicated to the JVM past 1.5 gig and am having no luck. I have JSE6.0(x64) installed on my 64 bit server running windows 2003 (64 bit) but I can’'t seem to have openfire use the 64 bit JVM.

So any advice on how to make Openfire use the 64bit JVM would be appreciated.

Thanks

~Joe

All I really need to know is how to point OpenFire to a different JVM on Windows 2003. I’‘ve tried setting environmental variables (JAVA_HOME, INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME, EXE4J_JAVA_HOME) with no luck. I’‘ve edited the .install4j\pref_jre.cfg file to point to the install directory of my new 64bit JVM, but when I do I get errors about the JVM being damaged. A reinstall of the 64bit JVM doesn’'t correct the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

~Joe

Hi Joe,

I have no idea how to modify an existing binary to use the 64 bit JRE but if you want to open a shell or batch/cmd file with the following content Openfire should start.

cd path-to-openfire\openfire\bin
path-to-64-bit-java\bin\java -jar ../lib/startup.jar

This should print out that Openfire is starting fine and make sure that the 64bit JRE work fine. As far as I can tell the 64bit JVM’'s consume nearly two times the memory of a 32bit JVM so I prefer the 32 bit version but I have no idea how Windows does handle this.

One may want to add some parameters like “-Xrs” and of course “-Xmx200m” if you need 200 MB for Openfire. Using “start” one should be able to run Openfire in the background.

LG

Thanks for the tip it2000,

Your suggestion does let me start up Openfire via my 64bit JVM and allows me to allocate more memory than I could before, Thanks!

I’‘m still looking for a way to make this Openfire’'s default JVM but at least now I can conduct some load tests to compare the 32bit vs the 64bit JVM to evaluate if the higher memory cap in 64bit is worth the higher memory allocation rate for my organization. Any suggestions on this point would be appreciated!

Thanks

~Joe

Hi Joe,

to monitor the memory usage you may want to set at least -XX:PrintGCDetails as described in http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/JVMSettingsandDebugging

Tsung is a load test tool which may be used to simulate load for XMPP servers - dombiak_gaston should have some scripts and maybe also a setup manual.

LG