Ldap Avatars

I am having a problem ldap avatars. In another thread I was working on getting my vcard mapping working correctly for ldap. I did find the right config but it broke my ldap avatars. I am baffled of why one config breaks ldap avatars and one doesn’t. The only thing I have changed is passwords and any names or ldap paths. All I did was shut the server down, move the config in place, startup. I then deleted my user profile stuff on my computer and started up spark so it would redownload any contact or vcard info. started up and no avatars. shut openfire down and swap the config back to the original and deleted my spark profile stuff so I would get fresh contact info, and I have avatars back. help is appreciated.

here is the original where the avatars work:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

STUFF.OURDOMAIN.COM

true

/opt/openfire/conf/gss.conf

false

gen_jabber,jledford,pkrueger,rfortner

en org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider com.mysql.jdbc.Driver jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire gen_jabber PASSWORD 5 15 1.0 ourdc.ourdomain.com 389 dc=stuff,dc=ourdomain,dc=com gen_jabber@stuff.ourdomain.com PASSWORD true false false false sAMAccountName (objectClass=organizationalPerson)(|(memberOf=cBUNCH-O-GROUP-FILT ERSm)) <![CDATA[ {sAMAccountName}@DOMAIN.NAME {sn}{givenName} {mail} {displayName} {displayName} {homePostalAddress} {homeZip} {co} {streetAddress} {l} {st} {postalCode} {co} {homePhone} {mobile} {telephoneNumber} {mobile} {facsimileTelephoneNumber} RK/> {pager} {title} {company} {department} {wWWHomePage} ]]> displayName mail cn member description false (objectClass=group)(cn=chat_*) org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.LooseAuthorizationPolicy org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.DefaultAuthorizationProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapUserProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapAuthProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider true true

and here is the one that fixes the vcard mapping but breaks avatars:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

STUFF.OURDOMAIN.COM

true

/opt/openfire/conf/gss.conf

false

gen_jabber,jledford,pkrueger,rfortner

en org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider com.mysql.jdbc.Driver jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire gen_jabber PASSWORD 5 15 1.0 ourdc.ourdomain.com 389 dc=stuff,dc=ourdomain,dc=com gen_jabber@stuff.ourdomain.com PASSWORD true false false false sAMAccountName (objectClass=organizationalPerson)(|(memberOf=cn=BUNCH-O-GROUP-FI LTERS)) <![CDATA[ {sn} {givenName} {mail} {displayName} {displayName} {homePostalAddress} {postOfficeBox} {l} {st} {postalCode} {c} {homePhone} {telephoneNumber} {mobile} {pager} {facsimileTelephoneNumber} {title} {wWWHomePage} {company} {department} ]]> displayName mail cn member description false (objectClass=group)(cn=chat_*) org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.LooseAuthorizationPolicy org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.DefaultAuthorizationProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapUserProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapAuthProvider org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider true true

As near as I can tell neither of your configs should show avatars. Neither are configured correctly. Please see this doc: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1636

the photo section doesn’t work for me either.I had previously had to use the ldap vcard plugin and was storing pics that way. since the upgrade I no longer needed the plugin. is it possible that changing the config makes the user a new vcard in the db?

My guess is the avatars for the new version of openfire are stored in a different location in the database. The users may need add a new avatar.

how does it work with either config then?

additionally you need to enable the system property ldap.override.avata. It should be in the list of system properties and set to true.

figured out why your config didn’t work for me, after adding the ldap.override.avatar property I didn’t restart the server, after a restart it worked like a champ.

many thanks.

Glad to hear. How about some points for helpful and correct answers .