LDAP + Database ''Hybrid'' Groups

I’‘d like to be able to pull group membership information from AD but for a subset and with sensible names (our group names tend to have little correlation with the english language). I could add the groups to another group and add that group to the filter but I’‘d rather not have to harass IT for each addition so I’'d prefer to ‘‘expose’’ various groups via the database and map them to sensible names.

I have a feeling this is going to involve some code, but I was wondering how existing groups work with respect to settings (eg Description, Shared Roster Groups, etc.) - perhaps it works like this already? ie if a group doesn’‘t have a display name it’'s not displayed? I sincerely hope so.

Sam,

Groups don’‘t do a whole lot unless you explicitly choose to make them shared in the roster. When you do, you’‘ll have the option of giving them a display name. So, sounds like the existing behavior should do what you’'re looking for?

Regards,

Matt

I suspect you may be right. How about where I want to creat ad-hoc groups in the database as well as pulling them from LDAP - I guess this would mean calling multiple providers and/or merging two of them.

Sam,

Yep, there’‘s not currently a HybridGroupProvider out of the box, so you’'d probably want to do something custom to cover this logic.

Regards,

Matt