LDAP & Jive

with LDAP implemented correctly

i know it states in the documentation that Jive reads only from LDAP which is a good thing

so you must have a database setup correct for certain things to be stored from Jive Messenger correct? since Jive cant write to LDAP…!!!

i am struggling in the .xml config file trying to get this test environment setup

i have two PCs

1st PC:

has Jive Messenger with MYSQL setup correctly (joined to AUStar domain)

2nd PC:

Austart (domain name) DC

now both of the PCs are on an isolated switch for testing purposes

I want to be able to set this up pulling user information from DC

I am not really sure how this works using LDAP…if it reads from the DC which has all user information available or it reads directly from MYSQL DB i have setup

if i have left any information that would help you help me then let me know

Need:

I want to be able to use LDAP to authenticate users

I dont want to have to go into Jive Admin Console and punch in each user by hand (we have over 900 users)

When LDAP mode is turned on, no user data is stored in the database. Instead, all user information and authentication will happen against LDAP.

Regards,

Matt

Ok that helps

And to turn it on you must edit the config file to read from the DC correct?

Yep. All LDAP settings are in the config file. Please see the LDAP guide in the documenetation for more info and then let us know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Matt

as a matter of fact I do

I need clarification on a few things

in the config file jive-messenger.xml

which is supposed to be entered here name of the DC or the domain, can the IP address of the DC be entered?

Also how do you view LDAP, with LDAP browser?

Also in the Jive Messenger Admin Tool @ Server Settings it says this:

Domain : “text box here”

Hostname or IP address of this server

Now am I supposed to enter the domain (austar.local) or localhost or the actualy DHCP address this machine is receiving 192.168.0.15 ??

which is supposed to be entered here name of the DC

or the domain, can the IP address of the DC be

entered?

What is a DC? But, yes, you would enter in the IP address or domain name of your LDAP server.

Also how do you view LDAP, with LDAP browser?

Yep.

Also in the Jive Messenger Admin Tool @ Server

Settings it says this:

Domain : “text box here”

Hostname or IP address of this

server

Now am I supposed to enter the domain (austar.local)

or localhost or the actualy DHCP address this machine

is receiving 192.168.0.15 ??

It should generally be a domain name that other machines can reach your server at. It can technically be an IP address, but that makes for lame JID’'s(user@192.168.0.15). Out of the examples, you gave me austar.local would make the most sense. Depending on your network config, you might be able to just make it be called “austar”.

-Matt

matt

thank you so much

youve been a great help:)

which is supposed to be entered here name of the

DC

or the domain, can the IP address of the DC be

entered?

What is a DC? But, yes, you would enter in the IP

address or domain name of your LDAP server.

Domain Controller, I’‘d guess… Since Windows mixes it’'s own network structures with “common” DNS I guess this is something that many windows users might think about at first…

yes DC = domain controller sorry