LDAP Notes

Matt & Rob,

I was hoping to get to ask about the status of some LDAP features during the chat today, but since there were problems with the chat server, I’‘ll leave my comments here so I don’'t forget them.

Where are we on JM-129 and JM-130? These are showstoppers for me. I’‘m wanting to use JM at my org (a university) and need these features before I can go to production. I’'ve voted for these.

Non-showstoppers I’‘d also like to see are JM-121, JM-189, and JM-183. I’'ve voted for these.

Without JM-130, the User Summary admin page pulls in what looks like every active directory object since my uid attribute is set to sAMAccountName. I get computers and everything showing up in the User Summary. Because of this, I found a limitation where the LDAP search results all limited to 1000 results returned. Looks like a default constraint in java:

http://docs.sun.com/source/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPSearchConstraints.html

So my question #3 is how do I adjust this setting and/or can you add the ability to change this within the JM admin console?

Well, I think that’'s enough for now. I can create JIRA items for each of these if you need me to. Thanks

hrothgar,

I can promise JM-130 for Jive Messenger 2.1.2. JM-129 is still scheduled for a future release but won’'t make it for 2.1.2.

Robert Kelly has been working on JM-121 and he sent me some code that I need to review. I’‘m hoping that it can get incorporated soon. JM-189 will be resolved for 2.1.2. Can you reproduce it? So far only one person has run into this issue and I’‘m not sure it’‘s a true problem. JM-183 is an interesting feature. However, we haven’'t seen any clients that provide good support for it yet. Does the client you use have good support?

The Javadoc link you sent actually doesnt apply to Jive Messenger – we use the JNDI LDAP classes and not the ones from netscape. I tested against an LDAP directory with 13K users today and it seemed to work fine. Based on that test, we actually made some changes to the UI. See ldap1.png (attached) vs ldap2.png. I’'m doing testing with OpenLDAP. What server are you testing with? Is it possible that the 1K limit is something configured in your server?

Regards,

Matt

Hi,

JM-183 is an interesting feature.

However, we haven’'t seen any clients that provide

good support for it yet. Does the client you use have

good support?

Tkabber supports it and Pandion will support it soon but I’'m not sure how this will look like because no server supports it at the moment

Include last status message of the unavailable presence when answering a presence probe

Regards,

Frank

Hi Matt,

Perhaps this 1000 users limit is set somewhere in the Active Directory. I ran into the same limitation on my setup. The problem is that i have no control over the AD (its administered by other people) so i can´t really go modifying parameters on the AD Server…

Matt,

Thanks for the response.

Glad to hear that JM-130 will be resolved in 2.1.2. I really want to have JM-129 before I roll this out to our entire org, but I’‘ll look at doing a small pilot program in the meantime. I’'m also wanting to test out Live Assistant too, so that might buy you some time to get JM-129 fixed.

JM-121 would be nice, but it’'s not a big deal for us. Our people have methods of retrieving that info through other applications.

I have not yet reproduced JM-189, but I wanted to make sure I got some attention. I’‘ve only tested that “bug” with Exodus, and it doesn’‘t appear to let me login with an empty password. I’'ll try to replicate the problem.

The only reason I mentioned JM-183 was that it sounds useful. I have know idea what clients support it. Probably should have saved that for a different post.

As for the 1000 LDAP results limitation, it appears to be an Active Directory limitation. I’'ve followed the steps outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315071&sd=tech

but it doesn’‘t change anything – User Summary still only shows the first 1000 results after I increased the MaxPageSize to 1100. I’'ll keep investigating this.

I’'m also wanting to

test out Live Assistant too, so that might buy you

some time to get JM-129 fixed.

Be sure to try the Jive Live Assistant 2.1 version (beta will be available soon). It’'s built on the latest version of Jive Messenger and is much nicer than 1.1. Of course, if you were to purchase Live Assistant, that could certainly motivate us to get JM-129 done faster for your implementation.

As for the 1000 LDAP results limitation, it appears

to be an Active Directory limitation. I’'ve followed

the steps outlined here:

Microsoft Support

us;315071&sd=tech

but it doesn’'t change anything – User Summary still

only shows the first 1000 results after I increased

the MaxPageSize to 1100. I’'ll keep investigating

this.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Matt

Hrothgar,

I believe the issue with the max results is due to the ldap queries not using a paged results control.

There is a difference between a max results setting and whether or not a client or server serves or queries blocks or pages of max result size. This is not AD specific. You can set paged results in OpenLdap and probably many other directory servers also.

See: http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=578347&tstart=45

That example uses a sun specific(com.sun.) PagedResultsControl. I think Messenger may need to implement this(paged results) to support larger ldap installations using paged results. A check will need to be made on the directory server’'s schema to see if it supports the control.

Rob

Rob,

Wow! I had no idea that PagedResultControl existed. Is there a standard way to do a schema check as you suggest? I really wish there was an efficient way to do count queries in LDAP as well…

Thanks,

Matt

Ahh, I found the following:

Here is a simple program for finding out the list of extensions that an LDAP server supports.

// Create the initial context

DirContext ctx = new InitialDirContext();

// Read supportedextension from the root DSE

Attributes attrs = ctx.getAttributes(

“ldap://localhost:389”, new String[]{“supportedextension”});

Here is the output produced by running this program against an LDAP server.

{supportedextension=supportedextension:

}

And some standard search controls:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ldap-parameters

and the paged results RFC:

http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2696

Ok, last item in this thread for now. I created JM-193 to summarize many of these improvements.

Thanks,

Matt

I’'m also wanting to

test out Live Assistant too, so that might buy you

some time to get JM-129 fixed.

Be sure to try the Jive Live Assistant 2.1 version

(beta will be available soon). It’'s built on the

latest version of Jive Messenger and is much nicer

than 1.1. Of course, if you were to purchase Live

Assistant, that could certainly motivate us to get

JM-129 done faster for your implementation.

Can give me a projection on how long it will be before 2.1beta is released and more importantly how long it will be in beta? If you want to keep it mum, PM me.

As for the 1000 LDAP results limitation, it appears

to be an Active Directory limitation. I’'ve followed

the steps outlined here:

Microsoft Support

but it doesn’'t change anything – User Summary still

only shows the first 1000 results after I increased

the MaxPageSize to 1100. I’'ll keep investigating this.

Let us know what you find.

I just noticed that I am getting the 1100 results now, so my modifications to AD did work. I guess it just takes a while for it to take effect (typical, really).

Can give me a projection on how long it will be

before 2.1beta is released and more importantly how

long it will be in beta? If you want to keep it

mum, PM me.

The beta should be out within a week and we expect the beta process to be about two weeks long.

I just noticed that I am getting the 1100 results

now, so my modifications to AD did work. I guess it

just takes a while for it to take effect (typical,

really).

It sounds like the paged results fix will be fairly important for your deployment. I’'m hoping we can get it in for 2.1.3.

-Matt