LDAP Search Error

Hey All,

I’'m a brand spanking new Jive admin and have managed to get a Jive Messenger server up and running and my users are authenticating against our AD environment just great.

I do have one problem with the LDAP search function and wondered if anyone had seen this or knew how to correct this. When attempting to search I get the following Java error in my error.log file:

2005.09.13 10:22:55 org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:271) Could not route packet

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.replyDataFormResult(SearchPlugin .java:386)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processSetPacket(SearchPlugin.ja va:302)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.handleIQ(SearchPlugin.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processPacket(SearchPlugin.java: 191)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.component.InternalComponentManager$RoutableComponent .process(InternalComponentManager.java:342)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:151)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:73)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.processIQ(SocketReader.java:258)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.ClientSocketReader.processIQ(ClientSocketReader. java:43)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:230)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:111)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any ideas?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Have you set a searchFilter in the LDAP configuration settings in your jive-messenger.xml config file?

Thanks,

Ryan

Good question… I don’‘t have a good handle on how to define that correctly! I have grabbed the following (from these forums) and in the Jive admin console I see the total users as being 578 (we only have about 150 in the company), so I don’'t think my search filter is defined correctly (I see resources, computers, groups etc in my Jive userlist).

</groupSearch

Filter>

I’'m running this against Windows 2000 AD and want all my users to have access to Jive. Any ideas how I can redefine this?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I don’‘t really know a whole lot about LDAP myself but there have been a couple of other reports of the search plugin not working properly in LDAP installations that are using a search filter. Since I haven’'t been able to reproduce the problem figuring a fix has been difficult.

Thanks,

Ryan

Oops, double submit.

Message was edited by:

ryang

Well to close the loop on this thread… the best I could get was using the following filter with Win2000 AD:

</sear

chFilter> </groupSearch

Filter>

Just a reference for anyone else out there trying to get this to work!

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Good to see you found a bit of a workaround? Did this take care of url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=103717#103717this issue[/url] as well?

Thanks,

Ryan

Nope - not yet… may have to abandon the search function… it was a nice to have! Otherwise, I’'ll be watching my error logs for other errors!