LDAP Search Result noSuchObject

Hi,

I am currently setting up LDAP authentication using Wilfire and an OpenLDAP directory. At the user-mapping stage, I test but receive no user information. I made a test with no maps and sniffed with wireshark to see the following:

1. Bind Successful.

2. Search BaseDN with filter (uid=*) returns all my users.

3. Search BaseDN with filter (uid=sampleUser) returns that user and her uid field.

4. Search with BaseDN=cn=“sampleUser”,ou=“people”, $BaseDN for attribute uid.

5. Returns noSuchObject.

Observe the double-quotes around the cn and ou entries. It seems that this is causing the problem as the DN without the quotes really does exist.

• EDIT +

I found some wildfire error logs that may give light to some of you. Note that I did not copy the entire backtrace:

=== +

2007.02.07 19:15:50 org.jivesoftware.admin.LdapUserTester.getAttributes(LdapUserTester.java:173)

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: LDAP: error code 32 - No Such Object; remaining name ‘‘cn=“mlanct2”,ou=“people”’’

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.mapErrorCode(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.c_getAttributes(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentDirContext.p_getAttributes(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.getAttributes(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.getAttributes(Unknown Source)

at javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.getAttributes(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.LdapUserTester.getAttributes(LdapUserTester.ja

=== -

I’‘m sure this is a really silly problem with regard to some typo but I’'m at a loss. Thanks for your help,

Michael

Message was edited by: mhavas

Stop using double quotes in the BaseDN. Try setting BaseDN to ou=people; or if you must, cn=sampleUser,ou=people.

Thank you for the reply. I am actually not using double-quotes in the baseDN. The baseDN is dc=meteo,dc=mcgill,dc=ca. It is wildfire that inserts double quotes when trying to retrieve attributes for an individul such as: cn=sample, ou=people,dc=meteo,dc=mcgill,dc=ca. Nowhere in the configuration have I specified double-quotes.

In any case, I decided to use our university’'s active directory to authenticate our users instead of our private LDAP directory. This is a better idea and seems to work right out of the box. It is, however, still worth investigating why wildfire inserts the double-quotes.

Thank you again,

Michael