Lets get this show back on the road!

Guus,

A couple of interesting ones, I filed against 3.6.5 and either you or Niess took care of them already The other interesting ones I filed against 3.6.6 and increased the priority of a few of them. In general, there were a handful of them with patches included yet. I put those against 3.6.6 for review.

daryl

Daryl,

I guess that was me . But by the way is there something like a mailing list for JIRA? I would like to get notified if there is some action on Openfire, Smack, Whack and the Tinder projects and look on all new issues and mark them watching is a little bit annoying.

Guenther, the only thing you can do is to get notified about new issues by setting up a filter http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1653

But you will still have to watch issues you are interested in. Though, maybe you can setup a filter for that too (notifiying about changed tickets).

Sounds awesome, Thanks!

Hi Guus,

Openfire does parse a lot of the stream. "In effect, Openfire is an XMPP validator (your stream will be closed if you’re sending invalid data). How far do you want to take the concept?"

VCards are as far as I know not parsed, they are stored as-is in the database.

I’d like to use a validator which uses a schema instead of coded logic to parse the packets. Does Openfire really check that one did not specify too much elements in a packet/message?

Also presence packets without show did cause some trouble, with a valiator one could classify a packet as invalid even before Openfire tries to parse it. Maybe one could call it a “reference implementation” as validating every packet will take a lot of time.

LG

Guenther,

Unfortunately, there is not.

http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5006

daryl

We’re getting close! Three more issues to go!

I was thinking: should we number this release 3.7.0 instead of 3.6.5? The changelist is rather huge. API changes were made, lots of functionality was modified. I’d say we’re performing quite a leap since 3.6.4.

While i agree that there are many new features and options added, it still has more bugfixes in there and we always refer to 3.6.5 in the forums as a fix version. Well it’s logical that 3.7.0 shoould contain fixes of 3.6.5 version, but if there will not be 3.6.5 at all… Well, it could be confusing for some people and also Daryl will have lots of work changing fix versions for hundreds of tickets

In JIRA, you simply rename the existing version. That’s rather a quick fix. We should probably do a rename anyway, as we’ll want to distinguish between the beta release and the official release in JIRA.

I’m not that bothered by any references to 3.6.5 in the forum, but I see the point. Weighing that argument in, I don’t really have a preference for 3.6.5 or 3.7.0.

It should be a simple Jira operation to move releases around, but I managed to screw it up somehow. I manually fixed most of the problems I hope, sorry about all the emails you folks probably got.

daryl

No problem

No more outstanding issues for 3.7.0!

I’ll ask Benjamin if he can trigger a new build from the continous integration system, and install that on IgniteRealtime.org. If no obvious problems pop up there, I’ll create an SVN tag for the beta release. After that, we can publish the beta on the site (again, we’ll need Benjamin for that).

Thanks for all of the hard work guys!

Update: Benjamin tells me that it’s easier for him to do it the other way around: first tag, then deploy on ignite. I’ve just created said tag:

http://svn.igniterealtime.org/svn/repos/openfire/tags/openfire_3_7_0_beta

I setup CI to build releases of 3.7.0 beta.

Good news is it builds some stuff. Bad news is it no longer builds the official RedHat RPM, Debian deb, Solaris pkg, or OS X DMG. Quite the fail there. I’m looking into the cause, but most likely i will have to finish building the ignite specific CI system in order to get all this working again. No ETA on that at this time.

I have however attached the non-JRE tar.gz from the build for your approval.

Also, please look at the tar.gz because I had some trouble getting it running on ignite. I messed with it for almost 30 minutes, but couldn’t get it working. I’ll have to give it another shot later, but perhaps someone else could test upgrading from 3.6.4 to 3.7.0 with this tar.gz ?

Thanks!
openfire_3_7_0_beta.tar.gz (7554991 Bytes)

Howdy,

Thanks so much for helping us out! Regarding the redhat RPM issue, any errors you can provide on that step? I’d be happy to look into it.

daryl

Glad to help. Sadly, it’s not a build issue, it’s simply that the build agents which were responsible for that task (and the others) are no longer available.

I just see now that the connection manager is also branched for the new beta version. I can’t remember that we fixed issues or applied patches for it. So maybe we should work on integrating OF-341 and maybe others into the connection manager before release a new version of it…

Guus, I think you’ve done also a great job, so thanks for that!

The Changelog should be updated for the 3.7.0 beta release.

Yeah, you’re right, we should.

I’ve just updated one of my server with the new beta. It’s a debian system and there were some issues with the debian package, I fixed them in the svn. I had also problems with some older plugins, they try to load the org.xmpp.component.Log interface, but it fails. Should we add this deprecated interface for a better backward compatiblity?