Limiting Authentication with Active Directory

Hello,

I have Jive Messenger working with Active Directory to authenticate users. I have the baseDN field pointing at the OU where all the user accounts are. The thing is I don’'t want everyone in that OU to be able to use the server, I only want a subset of them to be able to. Is there a way to limit who can authenticate off the server? If it helps, all the users that I want to be able to use it are members of the same group.

Yes, you can. You’'ll need to write a user that includes the property as well as their username and that should limit your search.

Noah

I’‘m sorry, could you elaborate a little more on which property we’'re talking about and where I should create the user. Thank you.

I’'m sorry, could you elaborate a little more on which

property we’'re talking about and where I should

create the user. Thank you.

You will need a characteristic similar amongst all the usernames you would like to have Jive pull up. For example, you only want usernames who name Starts with an A. Then you can create a search filter to pull all usernames with A*

Is there a common characteristic amongst the users you want to pull?

Sorry, didn’'t realize you already specified the common group for the users.

To pull all the users of a particular group just add a filter into your configuration file

That’'ll do it. SupaXStarz…you have an additional set of parentheses around the memberOf= clause.

FYI, http://www.petri.co.il/ldap_search_samples_for_windows_2003_and_exchange.htm contains some example ldap searches to help inspire you to solve your own.

Noah

to make it easier, what i did was create a group in AD and just create a filter to read members of that group only. This way, all i need to do is add any user i want to have im into that im group and than they show up in the console as users.

Thanks for the replies, I’‘m going to try it out and I’'ll let you know.