Locking down spark

I’'m interested in finding or creating a registry key for locking down spark for certain users.

1. I want to disable their ability to shut off message archiving

2. I sould like to be able to set the path of where messages are archived.

Any help in this regard wold be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Hi,

if I remember right 1. is stored in %USERPROFILE%\Spark\settings.xml so you’'d need to make this file read-only but this would prevent the users to change a lot of other things, also the password may be stored there.

@2.: I have no idea whether one can configure this.

LG

I think you have to pay for the $300 Spark customization toolkit to get speacial features like that.

I’'d like to see Wildfire also control the clients setup centrally.

… or have a java developer around which patches the code. While I think this will be more expensive for most companies.

LG

Are you wanting to force archival on for the user’‘s benefit or your company’'s (big brother)?

If it is the latter, I would consider archiving at the server only and not requiring a client setting to fulfil that need. Wildfire has built-in support for this under Server -> Server Settings -> Message Audit Policy.

I would suspect that the Jive Software team will build more integration between Wildfire and Spark in their next releases. They may even add a sort of policy distribution system that would have spark inherit settings based on a user’'s policy settings.

I’'ve been fooling around with the SVN feeds. I can compile it to a java app, that was easy. But… If I knew how to compile the build into an installable executable… (any hints would be nice, )

Hi,

there are two things. One is the java launcher (Spark.exe) and one is the MSI (everything else is not fine for Windows users) installer. I have no idea about both, but Spark.exe can be replaced by a Spark.cmd script which launches javaw.exe instead of java.exe. Then you see javaw.exe and not Spark.exe in the Task Manager but most users can live with this.

LG

Thanks,

That’‘s basically how I run Spark on my machine (building daily too, grin). I use a custom built .bat file to run javaw.exe, etc etc. I was mostly concerned with deployment. It would be vastly easier for me to deply an installable .exe rathar than a file set. Not impossible, just easier. You’'ve given me some other ideas I might play with though. Thanks.

Message was edited by: scottwilkins