Logging Conversations

I see no option to export from filtered searchs, this

would be a nice thing to see added

Good idea. I’‘d also like to add this stuff to a database aswell, unfortunately, I just don’‘t have much time at the moment. I’'m also in the process of familiarising myself with Java so I can port this to Java and be a little more intune with Jive and a little more cross platform.

Things to do:

• Port to Java

• enable phrase/word searching withing the viewer

• export filtered results

• DB storage (so you don’'t have to keep opening older files)

• Maybe turn the viewer into a plugin… That would be nice.

The source is posted in this thread so anyone is more than welcome to have a go too

Cheers,

Jason.

Log Viewer shows me all dates as 01/01/1980, does anybody know why?!

Thank’'s!

the_lok,

The log viewer grab’'s the date from the log files, so you may want to check your system date and make sure it is correct.

That is the default date given if for some reason the date can’'t be obtained from the log. It may be a format thing. I thought that would be a better idea than throwing an error.

There are lots of ways this app can be improved, internationalising it and coping with different date and time formats is one of them.

How is the date formatted in your log?

Jason

My date format:

timestamp=“Mon Aug 29 08:04:44 GMT-03:00 2005”

Again wanted to thank Jason for his dedication to getting this thing up and running… I wish I knew something about programming so I could be of assistance to you on this. But I am sure that everyone who has found this has rejoiced at finding something other than opening the log in a text editor.

Brett

My date format:

timestamp=“Mon Aug 29 08:04:44 GMT-03:00 2005”

That’'s the kiddy . The regex that pulls out the date and time is being thrown off by the -03:00 bit.

I’'ll have a fiddle with that and upload new source and binary packages on the message a little further back on this thread.

Will try and get that sorted today

Jason

edit

Done. I don’‘t actually do anything with the -03:00 part, just that it doesn’'t cause the regex to fail anymore.

Attachments further back in the thread have been updated.

Message was edited by:

jasonmcclean

Question to the Devs.

Do you think that I should move this off the forums, just leaving a pointer to where it has gone, or are you quite happy for this thread to keep getting bigger?

Cheers,

Jason.

I started using this perl script on my corporate server recently and I noticed a bug in the code.

At the bottom of the script, the code reads as follows:

#short date

#add leading zero to month, if required

#first make it non-zero based

$mon++;

if ($mon<10) {

$month = “0$mon”;

}

my $shortDate = “$year-$month-$day”;[/i]

It needs to be modified in one of several ways (I have tested multiple which work, though I’‘ll leave it up to each person to execute it in their own way as I have zero perl experience and I know there is a much much more elegant solution, but I simply don’'t know enough about the language syntax to code it myself.)

The problem is this: if the value variable “mon” is 10 or greater, the variable “month” (which is used to create “shortDate”) has a value of null. This causes the resulting filename of the log file to be “2005–04.log” instead of “2005-10-04.log”

The fixes I have tried:

1)[/b] Add an else statement to the if statement that sets “month” to “mon”

#short date

$mon++;

if ($mon<10) {

$month = “0$mon”;

}

else {

$month = “$mon”;

}[/b]

my $shortDate = “$year-$month-$day”;[/i]

2)[/b] Modify the line assigning a value to “shortDate” to use “mon” instead of “month” and modify the if statement to assign the resulting value back to “mon”

#short date

$mon++;

if ($mon<10) {

$mon = “0$mon”;[/b]

}

my $shortDate = “$year-$mon-$day”;[/b][/i]

Hope this helps others that are using this perl script who may or may not have noticed this bug.

Peace,

-Bartman007

Thanks for the fix.

I’‘m by no means an expert with Perl either but that was just simply stupid of me! Just shows also that I’'ve not actually checked my logs for the last week or so, otherwise I would have seen that too - Doh!

Undoubtedly there are many more ‘‘issues’’ to be found and I welcome people pointing them out.

Cheers,

Jason.

edit

p.s. I think I favour the shorter solution. Why introduce variables when you don’'t have too. Good point! Why did I?

Hi Jason!

Just checked that software and liek it so far, bhut:

• i second the option to export or print results (export is probably better for formatting purposes -> Export to CSV)

then one thing i miss a lot:

The filter seems to only filter the ‘‘from’’ address, and not the too address’’, so if i want to check a complete conversation between user1 and all other users it should also show replies user1 got from user 2, so everythign where ‘‘to’’ is user2 too.

also a selction by date (grouped) woudl be nice

I think the filter thing broke a little when I had to rejig some things a little while ago. Exporting would be good, I totally agree, however, I’'m a really bogged down in other projects at the moment

I think the thing to do would be to move this onto another forum where anyone wishing to contribute can do so more easily.

Jason.

When pointing the viewer to the log file, I get an message “Error parsing child nodes of root node jive” then a “Error loading log file.” I’'m trying to run the binary and view Wildfire 2.4.0 logs. Did the logs change with the change to Wildfire by chance…they look the same to me.

Thanks,

Chad

Not sure about the log files. I’'m not currently using the latest version :-o

I’'ll look into it anf get back to you.

Jason.

ignore this, ironing out the kinks with it working with 2.4

Hello everyone - has this project been abandoned? if so could someone please point me to the right place to look?

I have an issue with the current binaries where when i pull my log into the viewer every chat has a date / time of 1/1/1980 00:00:00 - this really screws up attempting to make sense of a conversation.

When I open the .log file itself i can definately see that the dates are in there correctly. Please help!!

Thank you

Hello everyone - has this project been abandoned?

It’‘s not been abandoned per se, however I just don’‘t have any time to spend on it. Shucks, I didn’'t even notice the name change to Wildfire until I got notification of this post. Is that bad? Do i really need to be upgrading my Jive Messenger installation (2.2.0 and working wonderfully - especially since I got my new server ). Maybe I need to look at that anyway.

if so could someone please point me to the right place

to look?

I have an issue with the current binaries where when

i pull my log into the viewer every chat has a date /

time of 1/1/1980 00:00:00 - this really screws up

attempting to make sense of a conversation.

This will be due to the date handling and the huge assumptions that I made when creating the regex to extract them. what is happening is that it is not properly recognising the dates, therefore a default date is being used. Regular expressions are not my strongest subject, but I’'m getting better at it.

When I open the .log file itself i can definately

see that the dates are in there correctly. Please

help!!

Oh yes, the dates will be fine in the log file. It is the log viewer that is having the problem.

If you can post an extract of the date format in your log, that will help me refine the date extraction regex. Really needs overhauling anyway - bit too specific.

Please bear in mind that this project started of as an internal project so that I, and a few others in management could easily review what was happening on our system. The viewer still works fine for us - this is where the big assumptions came in. I had no access to the formats of other installations. I threw the code into this forum so others could take advantage. Please, please feel free to review the source and see if anyone can help take this project forward.

Hopefully, soon I will have more time to spend on this and take it to the next level, fix all the broken bits and finally port it to Java (I have started learning Java, honest ).

Fingers crossed, I may soon have some splutter free time.

Jason.

Just had a thought. As I’'m several versions behind, has any progress been made with the internal log viewer? There was talk of this some time ago.

Just wondering. Not had a chance to trawl through the forums and stuff.

Jason.

Just had a thought. As I’'m several versions behind,

has any progress been made with the internal log

viewer? There was talk of this some time ago.

It seems to me that this would be the best way to handle it. IMHO, either the core or at least a plugin needs to be developed that will put the logs in a readable fomat.

cb

There was talk of it, but that appears to have fall by the wayside. There was also discussion of date-based log files, http://www.jivesoftware.org/issues/browse/JM-298 , but the version it was to be implemented in has been bumped back several times and now sits at 2.5.0

khoehn, a forum member has created a admin console plugin (http://sourceforge.net/projects/iball-auditor) that creates logs - separate from the built-in Message Auditing - which are specifically for chat and MUC. This plugin integrates a viewer into the Admin console. A request has been made to integrate this plugin into Jive/Wildfire itself, http://www.jivesoftware.org/issues/browse/JM-523 Based on posts khoehn has made on the forums, he plans to continue developing the plugin and has plans for the ability to search through the logs in various methods.

I plan to test this plugin but probably won’'t be able to for several months as other projects take priority.

Message was edited by: Bartman007