Logging in using userPrincipalName instead of sAMAccountName

First, I gotta say I’m more than just thrilled by the new Openfire 3.6.0 server and Spark. Especially the way they work together and everything. It’s just that adapting both in to our corporate environment has some issues like the way users expect to log in.

Every Active Directory aware system we have in production is to be used with userPrincipalName (UPN) when authenticating. This is when users open Outlook while on road, our intranet or what ever. It is too much of a hassle explaining them about Pre-Windows 2000 account that is sAMAccountNAme attribute in AD user objects.

My issues:

1. After a couple of days in testing this new Openfire server with Spark (with Windows XP SP2 clients) I’ve been unable to get the users logging in with their account using UPN format. In addition to this I also have to log in to the Admin Console of Openfire with my sAMAccountName, when instead I would once again prefer to use the UNP format to clarify everything.

Is some one already running their Openfire with users logging in using UPN? If so, I would like to ask a couple more questions about configuring the server.