powered by Jive Software

Login Failed after changing Server Name

I’m getting the following error when trying to log in to the admin console:
“Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator.”

This happened after I changed the Server Name in the admin console. The Server Name had a warning icon next to it that stated: “Found RSA certificate that is not valid for the server domain.”

This is on Windows 2016 Server. The database Openfire connects to is Microsoft SQL Server 2016.

Changing server’s name this way is not advised as your users are still with the old name. Your admin user also, that’s why you can’t login now (old: admin@oldname, you login now with admin@newname). If you have backup, you can rollback. If not, you can stop Openfire, edit /openfire/conf/openfire.xml and change setup tag at the bottom to false. Save it. Run Openfire, go to Admin Console and repeat the setup process (it won’t overwrite your database), on server’s name page specify the old name again. I think it should allow login after that.

If your certificates do not match server’s name (XMPP domain) you can delete certificate and generate new one in TLS/SSL menu. If you use self-signed certificates generated by Openfire.

Actually, it’s probably a bit more subtle than that.

You admin account is probably something like admin@old-domain.com

You’re logging in as admin@new-domain.com

You’ll need to edit the ofProperty table, editing the row with name “admin.authorizedJIDs” to something appropriate.

Greg

I checked the ofProperty table (on MS SQL 2014) and don’t find that row. There are only 43 rows and nothing references JID. Am I looking in the wrong place? Contents of table:

adminConsole.port
adminConsole.securePort
connectionProvider.className
database.defaultProvider.connectionTimeout
database.defaultProvider.driver
database.defaultProvider.maxConnections
database.defaultProvider.minConnections
database.defaultProvider.password
database.defaultProvider.serverURL
database.defaultProvider.testAfterUse
database.defaultProvider.testBeforeUse
database.defaultProvider.testSQL
database.defaultProvider.username
locale
passwordKey
provider.admin.className
provider.auth.className
provider.group.className
provider.lockout.className
provider.securityAudit.className
provider.user.className
provider.vcard.className
register.inband
register.password
sasl.mechs.00001
sasl.mechs.00002
sasl.mechs.00003
sasl.mechs.00004
sasl.mechs.00005
sasl.mechs.00006
sasl.mechs.00007
sasl.mechs.00008
sasl.scram-sha-1.iteration-count
setup
stream.management.active
stream.management.requestFrequency
update.lastCheck
xmpp.auth.anonymous
xmpp.domain
xmpp.fqdn
xmpp.server.permission
xmpp.session.conflict-limit
xmpp.socket.ssl.active

Sorry, found the right table and edited it with correct server name. I did have the old server name. Waiting for a time to I can stop/restart the service.

after stopping and restarting service, can finally log back into admin console. thanks.