Lots of trouble with Gaim 1.1.4 + Jive 2.1.2

We have been playing with a new install of Jive Messenger 2.1.2 on RH9 with Gaim 1.1.4 clients on Win98, WinME, FC3, and WinXP. We have experienced nothing but flakiness and lots of stack traces on the Jive Server. Any thoughts of what to do here?

Here are a couple of examples… thanks!

2005.03.12 12:34:39 org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:70) Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.user.UserManager.getUser(UserManager.java:143)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQvCardHandler.handleIQ(IQvCardHandler.java: 89)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:195)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:74)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.readStream(SocketReadThread.jav a:254)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.run(SocketReadThread.java:110)

2005.03.11 23:26:04 org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketConnection.deliver(SocketConnection.java:19 2)

java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)

at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.writeBytes(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implFlushBuffer(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implFlush(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.flush(Unknown Source)

at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flush(Unknown Source)

at java.io.BufferedWriter.flush(Unknown Source)

at org.dom4j.io.XMLWriter.flush(XMLWriter.java:244)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketConnection.deliver(SocketConnection.java:1 89)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.ClientSession.deliver(ClientSession.java:287)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.ClientSession.process(ClientSession.java:281)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.MessageRouter.route(MessageRouter.java:67) at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:51)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MUCRoleImpl.send(MUCRoleImpl.java:207)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MUCRoomImpl.broadcast(MUCRoomImpl.java:810)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MUCRoomImpl.send(MUCRoomImpl.java:741)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MUCRoomImpl.sendPublicMessage(MUCRoomImpl.ja va:723)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MUCUserImpl.process(MUCUserImpl.java:202)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MUCUserImpl.process(MUCUserImpl.java:112)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MultiUserChatServerImpl.processPacket(MultiU serChatServerImpl.java:207)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.muc.spi.MultiUserChatServerImpl.process(MultiUserCha tServerImpl.java:191)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.MessageRouter.route(MessageRouter.java:67) at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.readStream(SocketReadThread.jav a:207)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.run(SocketReadThread.java:110)

well, in case anybody is curious, I migrated to jabberd2 + mu-conference and haven’'t had a single problem with Gaim yet. Smack seems to work with jabberd2, so I am fat and happy!

Hey Daryl,

Thanks for the bug report. Were you trying to obtain the vCard of an anonymous user? I fixed the problem you reported so if you want you can try with the next nightly build.

Thanks,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I don’‘t really envision going back to Jive, but I have a 32 K log file full of stack traces if you are interested. I don’'t think I was doing anything related to vCards, but I am mostly a newbie to Jabber admin stuff…

You want me to post the log file here? or …

daryl

Daryl,

You can send me the error.log file to gaston at jivesoftware dot com.

Thanks,

– Gato

Thanks for the speedy reply.

First, I sincerely appologize. The 32 K of errors I mentioned was mostly from my incorrect database settings. I didn’'t mean to disrespect the jive software.

Let me elaborate on Gaim errors some more:

1. Opening multiple MUC would lead to very flaky behaviour. One would still work and the other may not.

2. Adding a buddy in gaim would also add a buddy with your JID too. This was very strange.

3. Adding a MUC to your buddies list would not work until the next logout/login was completed.

4. Invities would sometimes work and sometimes not.

sorry to be vague with these items and provide no debug logs. I could try to debug these some more, but we are really happy with our current jabberd2+mu_conference setup.

thanks and sorry,

daryl

Gaim have bugs with MUC. For example you cannot re-enter same chat room before you sign off - sign on. As other clients work fine, so i assume it’'s a Gaim bug.

as for you errors:

1. Adding a buddy in gaim would also add a buddy with your JID too. This was very >strange

Adding where? In some groups or how? Buddy list should be managed in Admin Console i think. That’'s why we need group managemnt, so we dont have to add buddies manually in every client.

1. Adding a MUC to your buddies list would not work until the next logout/login was >completed.

That’'s strange. It worked fine for me. Well, it was a long time ago, i think i was testing with 2.1.1 or 2.1.0. You are trying to add persistent rooms created in Admin Console?

of course, it was Windows installation and winGaim, so there could be differencies:)