Mac OS X10.4.6 running Wildfire 2.5.1 with iChatAV clients WORKING!

Only took me a week of random fiddling around… This afternoon I fired up two G5 iMacs with iSight cameras fiddled some more with iChat settings and connected in a video conference all systems running OS X 10.4.6 (including the server on a dual G5 box running web, email and DNS too…).

I am impressed! Now, I wonder if I can gert the Asterisk IM to work with the iChat clients as video phones? Hmmm…

Regards, db www.MACaid.com

> Only took me a week of random fiddling around… This

> afternoon I fired up two G5 iMacs with iSight cameras

> fiddled some more with iChat settings and connected

> in a video conference all systems running OS X 10.4.6

Congratulations I’'m doing that all the time.

> I am impressed! Now, I wonder if I can gert the

> Asterisk IM to work with the iChat clients as video

> phones? Hmmm…

Not without some coding, iChat uses a different protocol for voice chats (some SIP signalling via xmpp), that Wildfire plugin uses a signalling protocol with the namespace “http://jivesoftware.com/xmlns/phone”. It’‘d really be great though, maybe I’‘ll have the time someday to look into writing a component for that, when this is sorted out: http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?threadID=18576&tstart=0 , xlite really sucks (actually, xlite got my personal "worst application user interface I’'ve ever used" award).

Actually, when thinking about it, I remembered that iChat uses H.264/AAC for video/voice transfer, which isn’‘t supported by any SIP client I know of. I don’'t think iChat supports the protocols in use in this field, so some server-side transcoding would be necessary, which is far from trivial.

Great to hear somebody has it working with iChatAV.

Would you mind to share some details of what you had to do to get it up and running?

We are currently using Wildfire 2.6.2. As of now, I’‘m only able to do a one way video conference and no audio chat at all. Standard text messaging is working great though. It also doesn’'t matter if the firewalls on the server and clients are turned on or turned off - same behavior.

Videoconferencing and audio chats work fine over Bonjour, but not via Jabber. Any ideas?

Regards, walter

Videoconferencing and audio chats work fine over Bonjour, but not via Jabber. Any ideas?

ichat supports the Jabber protocol, I use it all the time for testing against my local wildfire build. At this time wildfire does not support audio/video messaging. I wonder is there a JEP for audio/video even?

If you have a look around, the forum you will find a few questions regarding audio support.

Cheers,

Conor.