Maximun contact list

Hi, I would like to know the maximun number of user in contact list supported by openfire

Hi Hilda,

There is no set limit to the number of contacts a given user can have when using Openfire. The real issue is how to manage a roster with hundreds or thousands contacts on the client side (some clients, like Spark, allow you to search through your contact list by using Cmd-F or Ctrl-F).

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thank you Ryan

ok … openfire don’t have limit in that way … So …

I’m using Spark client … so i would like to know if spark can manage thousands and thousands of contacts … Can you help me in that too?

Thank you, you’re so gentle.

Hi Hilda,

I’ve never used Spark with more than a couple dozen people in my roster. However, I remember reading somewhere that when Peter Saint-Andre used Spark, with his contact list 1400+ people, he found it to be very fast and responsive. The best advice I can give you is to try it yourself and see how it works.

Out of curiosity, how do you handle thousands of contacts currently?

Cheers,

Ryan

I am beginning to wonder myself if there aren’t problems with regards to VERY large contact lists. I posted an error here which seems to be related to large rosters: error: object key too large to fit in cache

We noticed similar problems with gtalk when we had our jabber stuff hosted there. Worked like a charm up until about 10k people on the roster, then things started to break down until eventually the gtalk screenname can’t be logged into at all from any client.

Well, really i don’t have so much contacts as more than 1000 for example … but i would like to use it in my office but i need features about this tool

Thank you … you answers are very useful to me

Hi Anthony,

Wow, 10K people in a single roster, that’s pretty big.

Have you tried increasing the size of your roster cache? If not, take a look at this document which outlines what want property files you’ll need to create/adjust.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thanks for the link Ryan, I took a look at that same page last night and was still a little unclear of exactly where I added those values and what would be the appropriate value to add.

I assume I need one for “cache.userCache.size” do I add that to the DB directly? And if so what should I make the value be?

Love openfire, but these large rosters are really giving me grief.

Hi Anthony,

What you’ll need to do is login to the Openfire Admin Console and navigate to Server -> Server Manager -> System Properties. On the bottom of the System Properties page there is a section that allows you to enter new system properties. So, in your case to increase the roster cache size enter cache.username2roster.size in the name field and for the value try 1048576 (which is one megabyte, or double the default value). Once you made this entry you’ll have to restart Openfire for the change to take effect.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Cool, I’ll do that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again for the help!

You’re welcome.