Messages not Instant

I just downloaded and installed Jive Messanger (wow, easy and excellent). However, with a test client called “Exodus”, messages do not arrive instantly, but rather if I log off then log back on. The same thing is happening with a client I am building based on the jabber-net library - messages do not arrive instantly, but arrive after log off/on again. What am I missing? Also, if I send a message from the server to all clients, they arrive instantly.

Anyone have any idea’‘s? I’'m building a client for work and I need to get it finished, please help!!

No I cannot use an existing client - I can’'t find an open source one in a language I know (java, C#)

Hi slylos,

Strange problem… it almost sounds as if Messenger thinks the message recipient is not online so it is storing the messages offline for later delivery. I know you’'ve tried two clients already but could you maybe try a third to elminate that as a potential problem, maybe Psi?

As for open-source clients, have you looked url=http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtmlhere[/url]? I know JBother is written in Java (uses Smack) and is open-source, so you may want to look at that.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Also, if you can come up with a reproducible test case for this issue that would help a lot.

Thanks,

Matt

I tried psi, and it reports “user is not online”, even though both test computers are connected and online. What am I missing, is it a server configuration issue?

Oh by the way, the server reports both users as online, along with their IP address in the admin console . . .

Hi Slylos,

What am I missing, is it a server configuration issue?

It sounds like a networking issue. Is there a firewall on or between your clients and server?

Thanks,

RYan

No there is not, unless you count the Windows SP2 firewall?

No there is not, unless you count the Windows SP2 firewall?

I’'d say that counts.

Is it turned on? If so, could you try turning it off?

Thanks,

Ryan

Nope, still doesn’‘t work . . . arrgh!! (tearing up) its killing me, I’'ve put off all my other projects for this hehe

In my custom client, I send a presence packet once I’‘m authenticated, but that doesn’'t seem to help. Like I said, the server admin console shows me as online, but the clients do not.

I think I had a similar problem when I screwed up and the jive server’‘s name didn’‘t match the name I was connecting to it as… Ie… it thought it was jabber.foo.com but I was connecting to foobar.foo.com because I hadn’'t put in dns yet…

-j

Hey Carlos,

When using Exodus, could you press F12 before logging in? Then post the XML traffic that you got in the debugger window. If you are using Jive Messenger 2.2 (beta or a nightly build ) I can give you a plugin that will log all the server traffic. That information may help us understand what’'s going on.

Regards,

– Gato

That doesn’‘t seem to be affecting me, as messages arrive if I logoff then log back on. It seems to be that its a server side issue, but I don’‘t know enough about Jive to say for sure, which is why I’'m posting here.

Hey Carlos,

Being able to see the XML packets that the client is sending or receiving is an indirect method that we use to evaluate problems on the server. Let me know if you are using a nightly build or the beta version of JM 2.2 so I can give you a plugin useful for debugging purposes.

Regards,

– Gato

Sorry my response was directed towards rohwedde’‘s post. I’‘m not using the nightly build, I’‘m using the stable build (2.1.5). Would there be debug info if I’'m not receiving messages? Should I post the logon debug info?

Hey Carlos,

Being able to see the XML packets that the client is

sending or receiving is an indirect method that we

use to evaluate problems on the server. Let me know

if you are using a nightly build or the beta version

of JM 2.2 so I can give you a plugin useful for

debugging purposes.

Regards,

– Gato

I’'ll post anything you need, I appreciate the help very much!!

Carlos,

I need you to open the debugger window (F12) right before you log into the server. In other words, I need to see everything that is passing through the client. Since you are not getting messages I guess that the traffic is quite low.

Regards,

– Gato

Here it is:

Using specified Host/Port: 192.168.1.2 5222

SENT:

AUTOUPDATE: Rounded = 4/3/2005 1:09:45 AM

Carlos,

Thanks. Can you post now the messages that you get when you log in again? I would like to see the XML of those messages.

I don’'t see anything strange in the XML that you sent except for a contact in your roster whose JID is "cindy@192.168.1.2". If that user is in your server then it should be "cindy@rockwithme.org". Make sure that the user that is sending you messages is sending them to "carlos@rockwithme.org" and not "carlos@192.168.1.2" since the hostname of your server is “rockwithme.org”.

Regards,

– Gato