Messenger won''t start using redhat init scripts

Hello,

I am running a fedora 2 system. I ran the redhat post install script but messenger won’‘t start. Upon running service jive-messenger start, I see the problem but don’'t know how to fix it.

When started manually using the above, it does not return me to the command prompt unless I hit the Enter key, then messenger will be up and running.

The message I recieve is: Starting messenger

nohup: appending output to ‘‘nohup.out’’

then it just hangs until I hit the Enter key.

Anyone seen this problem? I searched the forum and saw something related but no fix.

TIA

Hi eddie2,

Is Messenger actually hanging or is the script just not returning to a command prompt after being executed?

Thanks,

Ryan

Enter? I press Ctrl-C. This message about nohup is a normal JM startup message. So, as Ryan said, does it actually hang?

Thanks for your responeses,

OK, I thought I saw the problem but I was wrong.

I just stopped messenger and re-started it manually. As always, it did not return to the command prompt but apparently the service is running. I was able to connect using exodus.

It seems it just won’‘t start on its own automatically. messenger starts just after tomcat. Do you think that’'s the problem? I know tomcat has to start first but maybe its too close.

I’'ll change the scripts for messenger to start a little later in the startup sequence and see what happens.

TIA

Well, setting messenger to start later in the start-up sequence didn’'t work either.

Back to square one.

Hi eddie2,

It seems it just won’'t start on its own

automatically. messenger starts just after tomcat.

Do you think that’'s the problem? I know tomcat has

s to start first but maybe its too close.

Yeah, as you discovered I don’‘t think the order in which Tomcat and Messenger starts up would make any difference. When you say, "it just won’'t start on its own automatically" do you mean when you (re)boot the machine that Messenger is installed on?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

That is correct. messenger will not start on a (re)boot. It will only start manually by typing: service jive-messenger start

I don’'t get it, its the same script used in runlevel 3 and 5.

Thanks!!

Hi eddie2,

Are the permissions set properly on the script?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

The scripts are owned by root in the /opt/jive_messenger/bin directory as well as in /etc/rc.d/init.d and the runlevel directories. They are chmod 755. The directory /opt/jive_messenger/bin is owned by jive.jive

Thanks again!!

Hi eddie2,

I’'m starting to get stumped.

Are you using the messenger.sh script that came with Messenger? If so, did you modify the script to point to the directory you installed Messenger in? I noticed that you have it installed in /opt/jive_messenger rather than the /opt/messenger or /usr/local/messenger directories the script looks in.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I used the rpm to install messenger. After installing, I ran the redhat-postinstall.sh script. I did’'nt change anything. It installed in /opt/jive_messenger on its own.

I think the first release of messenger I installed was 2.12 (I have upgraded twice). I used rpm -Uvh to upgrade. Maybe the 2.12 rpm release was different.

Its got me stumped as well. I’'ve been dealing with this since 2.12.

Thanks!!

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Well, if the premissions and paths are correct I’‘m pretty much out of ideas. I’‘ve never used the rpm installer for Messenger so if there is something wrong or incompatiable with it I don’'t know exactly how to go about trouble shooting it. Have you tried doing a clean install?

~Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Could be a change somewhere. I’'ll give the clean install a try.

Thanks for all your help!!

I’'ve been experiencing the same problem with centos since version 2.1.1 and all of them are clean installs. as a workaround, i just inserted the following code in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

/etc/init.d/jive-messengerd start

Hello jet,

That indeed works! However in my case, I set it in rc.local as /etc/rc.d/init.d/jive-messengerd start

The only concern I have about doing it this way is whether or not messenger shuts down properly on a shutdown/reboot. There should be a file I can add ''jive-messengerd stop ‘’ on a shutdown/reboot. I have one I use to delete files in my tmp directory on a shutdown/reboot, but I can think off hand which one it is.

Thanks!!