Migration from ejabberd 2.1 to openfire

Dear All,

We are thinking (testing) the migration from ejabberd 1.x to ejabberd 2.x or OpenFire. At the first glance, OpenFire could fit our needs.

I have pass a lot of time on forum both on ejabberd and OpenFire to look at how to to do migration. I have seen topics on scripts supposed to help but unfortunately, they have disappear from the web now. I’m thinking at writing a new one in Python (or Perl?) to translate the XEP-0277 export from ejabberd in a OpenFire compliant XML but I have some issues to address:

1. We uses the internal database of ejabberd. Direct SQL queries on ejabberd are unfortunately not possibles. Migrating from internal database to SQL database seems to also be an issue.

2. The XEP-0277 XML of ejabberd is not a valid XML. Users are allowed to use special caracter like [{<… in their password. Theses password are not escaped in the XML and then the XML is not usable with a standard DOM API (like xml.dom in Python or the equivalent in any language). So, we have to first correct the XML or found a workaround.

3. I need to get the maximum availble information. Including informations related to transport (MSN, Yahoo!..).

4. It’s the business, we are not a private compagny. We offer a jabber service to our customer (in fact the whole world). When then need to avoid regression and minimize support due to the migration.

So, do you have some ideas on how to deal with all theses specs? It seems that the only solution I have is to parse the text dump file or the XML dump of ejabberd. I will prefer to use the XML as it will be easier to execute requests on a XML without having to deal with writing a full parser. Does skeletons of scripts still exists somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Kr,

David

Dear All,

I relaunch the thread.

I still have no solution but we keep a strong interest for OpenFire.

We still have to find a way to migrate transparently our users from our ejabberd server to OpenFire. Does anyone already achieve the operation and how? Does anyone as a copy of some migration script I can use as skeleton to build mine? If the migration is not possible we have to stop thinking at using OpenFire.

Kr,

David

I’m on the road of a solution…

I have started to do some stuffs in Python and in Java (I will do everything in Java, may be the code could be reused to produce a OpenFire plugin).

At the time, I updated my ejabberd 2.1.0 server to ejabberd 2.1.2 and it fix the invalid XML problem. Now, I’m able to parse the XML with Java DOM API.

Now, I will work in developping the required stuff to produce a valid XML for OpenFire.

Kr,

David