Minimizing upgrade downtime

We want to upgrade from Wildfire 2.5.1 to 3.0.1 on a Linux platform.

To minimize downtime, we would like to install 3.0.1 at /opt/wildfire301 (2.5.1 is installed at /opt/wildfire), stop 2.5.1 then start 3.0.1. We intend to have a new database and different ports for 3.0.1. We do not intend to run the two instances concurrently.

Is this possible? How can we install from the rpm to /opt/wildfire301 ? Can we revert to 2.5.1 is needed?

Thanks in advance.

–Art Sarkissian

Hi,

I try to avoid rpm and as you need “rpm -U” to upgrade Wildfire it may be probematic to use rpm to upgrade.

Using the .tar.gz files is much more easy and you don’'t need root to install it (you just need root for the /etc/rc-scripts).

I use a “user” to extract the “wildfire_3_0_1.tar.gz”; and then rename “wildfire” to “wildfire_3_0_1”.

“/home/user/WF/bin/wildfire stop” stops the current version, then I change the symlink and “/home/user/WF/bin/wildfire start” starts the new version.

It makes sense to copy the content of the conf directory to keep the configuration and the embedded db directory if one is using it.

If you want to add a user and use this approach make sure to edit the rc script that it matches your new installation directory.

So I can use the old version very easy but I must not copy the embedded db as the database schema may be changed. I assume that you need to use a backup of your database if you want to go back to the old version as some changes to the database may be incompatible with the old Wildfire version.

LG

my “user”’'s home:

[user@host ~]$ ls -l
total 5804
lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user      14 Jul  4 17:04 WF -> wildfire_3_0_1
drwxr-xr-x 11 user user    1024 Jul  4 17:20 wildfire_3_0_0
drwxr-xr-x 10 user user    1024 Jul 13 22:42 wildfire_3_0_1
-rw-rw-r--  1 user user 5912383 Jul 13 22:56 wildfire_3_0_1.tar.gz
[user@host ~]$