After finally getting SSO working with AD I’'m trying to recreate the client side steps in advance of rolling it out. I completely removed spark, the spark folders and the spark profile folder. I then removed the krb5.ini file and registry key needed to get it working.
I re-installed the MSI and confrmed SSO wasn’‘t working, added the reg key and then the ini file… and it still wasn’'t working. Upon looking at the client log, it was looking in C:\WINNT for the .ini file instead of c:\windows.
Went through the cycle again but this time installed using the .exe and the SSO worked first time. So it would seem the MSI install is doing something strange.
This is on an XP SP2 client.