Missing chat in converstations

I’m not sure where to begin looking for the cause of this problem so I wanted to check if anyone has had a similar problem.

Setup:

Internal LAN

Openfire 3.6.4 on CentOS 5.x x64

Spark 2.5.8 on WinXP

Approx 60 concurrent connections.

Some users have complained that chucks of their converstations are missing. Its affected only 4 users and they are the heaviest users. I’ve verified the missing chat by looking through the history on each machine.

Typical scenario:

Conversation starts --> several exchanges --> 1 user will have a block of messages that never show up in sequence --> later on a new converation continues in the same window without issue.

When the heavy user is paired with a normal user it is always the normal user that misses out on some messages.

Another thing that has occured is that a user will have multiple chat tabs open, when they recieve a new message from someone they already have a tab open with, it goes into a 2nd tab instead (note the total tabs for all converstations is about 10 for this user on average). So to them they never get a reply since the reply went into another tab.

Now this has affected only the heavy users. I’ve observed that these heavy users have at least 5 chat tabs open at all times, whether the conversation is 2 hours old or current.

The only other similarities for these users is that they have a P4 2.6 CPU and 1GB RAM which is on the low end of the typical computer configuration there.

We have gigabit Linksys rack switches that need to be rebooted once a week to keep things from going haywire (not Openfire/Spark specifically but DHCP and connectivity issues for new computers).

So… I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and if so maybe we can find the common factors.

Thanks,

Jacob