Moderators

Hi, I’'m tying to make a moderated system in jabber.

In this particular system, moderator must be able to send messages to all user to give help or to moderate discussions.

My primary goal is to have a moderator monitoring one room and sending private messages to “bad users”.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Marco

Hi,

could you please clarify what you mean. I assume you don’'t want to create conference rooms and add some room admins who are able to use a client like Spark and then chat in the MUC (broadcasting via MUC) and p2p?

LG

Hi,

our task is more complex than this.

We want to create a moderator user that can monitor the discussion in a particular room.

The moderator must be able to send private messages to the room members that are doing some bad things.

To do so we have issue a special call to a jsp in the admin console that adds the moderator to the user roster to permit comunication.

My problem, now, is that removal of moderator from user roster must be forbidden.

My ask is if there is a simpler way to make a “moderator” user send private messages to all the users in the system.

Thanks

Marco

Marco,

The moderator must be able to send private messages

to the room members that are doing some bad things.

To do so we have issue a special call to a jsp in the

admin console that adds the moderator to the user

roster to permit comunication.

Sending private messages in a MUC room is a built-in feature. You shouldn’‘t need to modify people’'s rosters.

Regards,

Matt

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

My problem is that my moderator must also chat to any person (also not in room) without the need to have this person in his roster.

Thanks.

Marco

Ciao Marco,

you or a moderator can chat with everyone, if you know her name and you didn’'t uninstall the search plugin.

Most clients support to ignore annoying users or admins - so you can’'t guarantee that the client will be listening to the mod.

LG

Ciao it2000.

Can you be more specific, it seems you solved all my problems.

Thanks

Marco

Hi Marco,

did you ever start Spark?

If you look at the bottom of the main window there’'s a “Find” field. Type in “Emma” and Spark will open the User Search Window and hopefully display Emma@jabber.doamin.it Double click the name and you have a p2p chat with the option add her to your roster.

To chat (p2p) with a user in a MUC you just need to double click her name. Being in a MUC you will likely not see the real JID, so you can’'t add her to your roster. MUC Moderators should be able to see the real JID butSpark/Wildfire seems to have a problem there.

LG

I’'m working with xiff and Flash.

But Thanks a lot, your hints have simplyfied my life!

Thanks

Marco

Hey LG,

MUC Moderators should be able to see the real

JID butSpark/Wildfire seems to have a problem there.

What kind of problem are you seeing in the server and/or the client? BTW, if the room is configured so that “anyone” can see the occupants real JID then all room occupants can access the real JID of other room occupants.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

I can’'t see the real JID of other users … is this a hidden feature or where must one click to see the real JID.

This is my current configuration to test this (I replaced jabber.xxxxx.de with jabber.org):

INSERT INTO JIVEUSER VALUES(’‘admin’’,’‘test1234’’,’‘Administrator’’,’‘admin@jabber.org’’,’‘0’’,’‘0’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEUSER VALUES(’‘test’’,’‘test’’,NULL,NULL,’‘001139057652270’’,’‘001139057652270’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEUSER VALUES(’‘tester’’,’‘tester’’,NULL,NULL,’‘001139057660793’’,’‘001139057660793’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEUSERPROP VALUES(’‘test’’,’‘lastActivity’’,’‘1139058434195’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEUSERPROP VALUES(’‘tester’’,’‘lastActivity’’,’‘1139057909330’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEPRIVATE VALUES(’‘test’’,’‘conference-data’’,

‘‘http://www.jivesoftware.com/communicator’’,

‘’’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEID VALUES(18,1)

INSERT INTO JIVEID VALUES(19,1)

INSERT INTO JIVEID VALUES(23,2)

INSERT INTO JIVEPROPERTY VALUES(’‘xmpp.auth.anonymous’’,’‘true’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEPROPERTY VALUES(’‘xmpp.client.tls.policy’’,’‘optional’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEPROPERTY VALUES(’‘xmpp.domain’’,’‘jabber.org’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEPROPERTY VALUES(’‘xmpp.muc.history.type’’,’‘number’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEPROPERTY VALUES(’‘xmpp.session.conflict-limit’’,’‘0’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEPROPERTY VALUES(’‘xmpp.socket.ssl.active’’,’‘true’’)

INSERT INTO JIVEVERSION VALUES(2,4)

INSERT INTO MUCROOM VALUES(1,’‘001139057674162’’,’‘001139057674172’’,’‘test’’,’‘test’’,’‘test’’,

‘‘000000000000000’’,NULL,0,30,1,0,0,0,NULL,0,0,’‘test’’,7,0,1,1)

INSERT INTO MUCAFFILIATION VALUES(1,’‘admin@jabber.org’’,10)

INSERT INTO MUCAFFILIATION VALUES(1,’‘test@jabber.org’’,20)

/code