Monitoring service archive access

Can a non admin access the messaging history when using the Monitorng Servive plugin? I have a need to access the messaging history by a non admin user.

I am using windows XP with Openfire 3.6.4 and a MSSQL database

Thanks in advance Raymon

I think no. As the history is saved in the database it would be a security issue to allow non admin access to a database.

History is available from the spark client as long as you do not use the monitoring service. The reason I am using the monitoring service is to store the conversations securely. The user needs the ability to review the conversations and verify data within the conversations. Why wouldn’t read only access to the history be made available to the users?

The monitoring service has no bearing on the locally stored history. That is a setting from within spark itself. There is no access to the monitoring service for people that are not admins of openfire.

The local “Chat History” worked fine on Spark before I installed the Monitoring service. The Chat history that is local to Spark is blank and does not log the conversations .The Chat preference to ‘Disable Chat History’ is unchecked. Would you consider this to be the proper operation?

I just performed a check to verify the problem, I uninstalled the monitoring service and the local Spark chat history started working. I re-installed the monitoring service and the local chat log on the client stopped working.

I havent seen such behavior with the older versions of Spark and i can’t reproduce it now with the latest svn version of Spark. What other plugins have you installed?

There is other way to make conversations archive available to the users. But there are not much support for this XEP standard. http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1094 Open Archive plugin is a server side part of this solution, but probably there is still no client to support that. Spark doesnt.

Monitoring plugin is not supposed to share conversations archives, it’s only collecting and storing data. Some organizations may have policies that every conversation should be recorded and stored for some time, so this plugin was created for such purposes.

The plugins that I have installed are: Broadcast, client control, IM Gateway, Monitoring services, motd packet filter, search, subscription, and user import export.

I experienced the issue on Spark 2.5.8

I installed the beta version Spark 2.6 and the issue does not exist while using the beta version.

I used the online installer for each version. I am using java runtime 1.6.0_12-b03.

I have 200+ users using Spark 2.5.8 and the monitoring service plugin. They still have full control of their history locally on their machine.

Try uninstalling the Client Control plugin (restart the server) and see if that fixes the issue. Can’t think of anything else.

Thank You

I uninstalled the client control and the Spark 2.5.8 client is able to see the history now