Moving from embedded to MySQL

I’ve searched the support forums and have seen this question asked, but never correctly answered (and others have asked with no answer at all):

I installed a test instance of OpenFire and am now ready to move to production. The test instance is using the Embedded DB, but the production system is on MySQL. I’ve installed the Export/Import Users plugin, but I get the “The import file does not match the user schema” when attempting to import the data. I’m convinced the plugin is broken since even trying to import the data on the same system that exported it yields the same error. I’ve opened the .xml file and see nothing wrong with it.

So, how do I move my users’ rosters from one system to the other? Is there a conversion tool for the DB?

This would seem like an obvious thing to do, and I can’t understand how this product can have been around this long without having solved this issue.

I’ve tried the last 3 versions on the new production server, all with the same results. Current version is now v3.8.1.

I have the old and new servers integrated into our AD using LDAP.

I think import export plugin only was ment to import/export local users, not the ones pulled from LDAP.

The documentation is quite specific in that you most definitely are able to export and import in LDAP. Did you read the plugin documentation? Have you personally used it?

I’m looking for correct answers, not guesses. I’ve already done all of my own guessing.

Thanks!

I am having the same issue. I too tried importing file on the same system that I exported from and get the same error message. Does anyone have a clue???

I finally found the answer.

The exported .xml is invalid. I edited the file to correct the invalid tags.

Here is a sample:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

tuser

tuser

<Email>tuser@example.com</Email>

Test User

The extra comes before the actual tag. There is one of these for each user. I wrote a script to clean up this file and was then able to import it successfully.

Thank you, I will give that a try. Not good at writing scripts so my 600 users might be fun.

Michael Wehking

Computer Services

Work: (785) 296-3353

Michael.Wehking@las.ks.govmailto:Michael.Wehking@las.ks.gov

Should be a simple Find/Replace with most any text file editor like Notepad to remove the bogus line.

That I should be able to handle. Thanks for finding the solution.

Michael Wehking

Computer Services

Work: (785) 296-3353

Michael.Wehking@las.ks.govmailto:Michael.Wehking@las.ks.gov