MSN Gateway Error

Whenever trying to login using spark, i get the following errors in OpenFire

Closing connection due to error while processing message: <iq id=“0YVXN-55” to=“msn.domain-program-server” type=“set”><query xmlns=“jabber:iq:register”><username>account@hotmail.com</username><password>password</password><x xmlns=“jabber:iq:gateway:register”/></query></iq>

org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: entity reference names can not start with character ‘’<’ (position: TEXT seen …<password>password<… @1:172)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseEntityRef(MXParser.java:2212)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:206)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextToken(MXParser.java:1100)

at org.dom4j.io.XMPPPacketReader.parseDocument(XMPPPacketReader.java:317)

at org.dom4j.io.XMPPPacketReader.read(XMPPPacketReader.java:154)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:123)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:703)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:362)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:54)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:800)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:62)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:200)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:362)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:54)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:800)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :266)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:326)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

any ideas? thanks

Unfortunately, without seeing more details I can’'t tell what might be wrong there. Does the username or password have any < or > in them? Anything have a "?

nope, although the username has a _ in it, does that matter? although the password does contain special characters

Message was edited by: winsrev

It shouldn’‘t =/ That error looks like something that would occur if there were bad XML being passed but I don’'t see anything bad about that XML. What java version are you using?

JVM Version and Vendor: 1.6.0_01 Sun Microsystems Inc. – Java HotSpot™ Server VM

Hrm. What version of the plugin are you using? And of Openfire? … lol and of Spark?

Openfire: 3.3.1

Spark: 2.5.3

IM Gateway: 1.0.2

hope that helps

Hrm. Unfortunately not. I really don’‘t know what to tell you. Nothing “looks” wrong and I can’'t see enough to really research it further. =/ You might want to try some packet trace software and look closer at the stanzas being sent and see if you notice anything wrong.

think it would matter if the account was a live account instead of a hotmail account? just a thought

It shouldn’'t. I have a mix of pre-live and live accounts that I test with.

seems kinda odd, Yahoo works fine, but for some reason MSN doesnt work

not sure if it helps but i missed the first 2 lines of error, and they are:

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

thanks for all your help it seems that there is a) either a fault with the password part (as i changed my password and it worked) or b) it requires a lot of restarts

Did your password have any non-alphanumeric characters in it? Hell, since you changed away from it, would you mind sharing your previous password?

well, to say the least, it had a 8 in it and a * and a &

Is there any chance that the & was at the end?

When you looked in your logs to see what was being transmitted between the server and client, did you see it spelled out in full html entity format ( & a m p ; ) or an actual &?

(bah, put some spaces in the html entity format so it didn’'t try to “help” me)

Message was edited by: jadestorm

(bah, stupid smileys)

Message was edited by: jadestorm

yep, the & was at the end but it was as & and not as & a m p;

aha! I think that’‘s probably the problem then. Which … “direction” was the stanza going? Was it going from the client to the server? Or from the server back to the client? If it’‘s server back to the client, then I’‘m doing somethnig wrong (not properly encoding) If it’‘s from the client to hte server, the client didn’'t properly encode.