MSN names literally "1", also gateway won't go away

Okay here’s one for you… With totally fresh Openfire 3.6.0 installation and IM gateway 1.2.4a, most of my MSN contacts (not all) are now named just “1”, literally that name, 1…

Also when I set my status to away, MSN transport doesn’t go away at all, while ICQ and AIM and Yahoo goes.

Also Pidgin user folder was purged so it can’t play any part to those names either, everything is fresh in instant messaging area here.

I’ll attach screenshot that demonstrates both problems

lol what in the hell?! I should be seeing that in my install as well. ponder are you seeing anything in the openfire debug logs that would indicate where the “1” is coming from?

I think I have somewhat related problems. If I login to MSN, the gateway won’t let me go away. My friends still see me as offline. The difference is that I don’t get any of my friends in MSN in my roster.

Should I PM you my error en debug logs? There is one entry in my error log, that keeps repeating every time I try to login to MSN.

I have also found this.

I am not sure, but maybe it has something to do with the gateway (or the java-jml library) setting wrongly the “Friendly Name” for your contact.

In MSN, a contact of yours has a “Display name” (that he sets) and a “Friendly Name” (that you set).

I think it may have something to do with it.

I am also working on fixing it, Daniel

Hi there!

I have found the bug. It’s in the java-jml library.

It seems that the MSN protocol 14 (and 15) has one more field in an ILN message. So the library parses wrongly and sets the displayname accordingly wrong.

I’ll post the patch here. Daniel, i can see that you are also the mantainer of that project, so no need to send it there also, i guess

http://msnpiki.msnfanatic.com/index.php/MSNP14

diff --git a/src/net/sf/jml/protocol/incoming/IncomingILN.java b/src/net/sf/jml/protocol/incoming/IncomingILN.java
index 4e1c503..06b6066 100644
--- a/src/net/sf/jml/protocol/incoming/IncomingILN.java
+++ b/src/net/sf/jml/protocol/incoming/IncomingILN.java
@@ -74,7 +74,12 @@ public class IncomingILN extends MsnIncomingMessage {
      * @return Conatact display name.
      */
     public String getDisplayName() {
-        return StringUtils.urlDecode(getParam(2));
+        if (protocol.after(MsnProtocol.MSNP13)) {
+            return StringUtils.urlDecode(getParam(3));
+        }
+        else {
+            return StringUtils.urlDecode(getParam(2));
+        }
     }      /**
@@ -83,7 +88,12 @@ public class IncomingILN extends MsnIncomingMessage {
      * @return Contact unique id.
      */
     public int getClientId() {
-        return NumberUtils.stringToInt(getParam(3));
+        if (protocol.after(MsnProtocol.MSNP14)) {
+            return NumberUtils.stringToInt(getParam(4));
+        }
+        else {
+            return NumberUtils.stringToInt(getParam(3));
+        }
     }      /**

IncomingILN_java.patch (1113 Bytes)

Awesome find, thank you! Will apply this patch momentarily. =)

Hey all, this is an early test release so to speak. Would you all mind testing it out and seeing if it fixes your buddy list issues?
gateway.jar (1238591 Bytes)

Looks like it is working again for me.

Thanks

Hmh… Still I get 1 as names… fails when person changes nick from “original” ( = name shows correctly when I start GAIM)…

To be sure I stopped opendire, deleted gateway.jar + gateway folder and then copied your attachment to plugin directory and started openfire again…

P.S. Additional info about the not goinf to away… When I set GAIM as away, I can see MSN gateway to go away like fraction of a second and then showing online again… So blink an eye and you’ll miss it…

Message was edited by: Sami Olmari, added info about away-status

The away status thing, while important, isn’t as important as the “1” thing so I’m not “emergency releasing” a fix for that at the moment. Ideally I could use some logs though from your debug logs to see what’s going on!

I don’t understand why you are seeing the “1” thing unless — I used to have a lot of problems with gaim and adium x both “caching” the names they thought were right and it was hard to convince them otherwise. Either way, any chance I can see your debug logs from when you are logging in?

Other folk in the thread, does this gateway.jar attached in this thread help?

jadestorm wrote:

The away status thing, while important, isn’t as important as the “1” thing so I’m not “emergency releasing” a fix for that at the moment. Ideally I could use some logs though from your debug logs to see what’s going on!

I can see that

jadestorm wrote:

I don’t understand why you are seeing the “1” thing unless — I used to have a lot of problems with gaim and adium x both “caching” the names they thought were right and it was hard to convince them otherwise. Either way, any chance I can see your debug logs from when you are logging in?

Well about caching the names… names shows correctly just at the start of the Pidgin (sorry about gaim, old name :-p ), but only changes to “1” when contact changes his/hers nick.

Also I now deleted pidgins cache (which BTW showed only good names, no “1” in there), and still this happends…

Here are attached my openfire debug.log, should start from login with pidgin.
debug.log (602996 Bytes)

Oh only when they change it? Sweet! I think I can track that down easily then. Probably exactly the same issue as with ILN.

Huh. Looking in the logs I don’t see a single place where the nickname gets changed to 1 are you seeing it in the logs somewhere that I should look at? Did this event occur during this log session?

Doh, sorry, it didn’t happend, I was too hasty… Here is new log where it do happend:

2008.08.29 00:34:40 TransportBuddy: Triggering contact update for {Buddy: <censored> (Nickname: 1) (Groups: [Individuals])}

BTW, I don’t see any buddy icons at msn either and I have enabled the feature… with AIM it works… And sorry to fill this one thread about “new” bugs, I will make another thread about this if needed
debug.log (143659 Bytes)

Ok! Think I got it, try this one!
gateway.jar (1238612 Bytes)

No wrong ignore that one try this one I copied the wrong one
gateway.jar (1238631 Bytes)

Okay this one works for the names! Cool and thanks

Now to rest of the bugs squashing when possible =)