MSN Transport 1.1.0 only working for about 20 minutes - many NPE's

If you are having complaints from users please do downgrade for now. Clearly there are things that were missed.

Is there a version everyone would reccomend? Thanks!

Josh

Probably last release before this. =/ 1.0.2 It’s attached to the 1.1.0 release thread.

so tried now the latest svn version were the above log entries are fixed (GATE-304).

now i’m currently running the plugin now for 2 hours and i don’t have the the same behavior.

after same time i got disconnected from msn. but the client still get no presence unavailable from the transport, so he thinks he is online.

also the web interface says that. but isn’t no presence or messages come trough. also sending is not working.

but if i’m logout and login i’m online again (this was not so before).

now i got this new error very often in my log:

2007.08.15 07:47:10 org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender.append(Log4JToOpe nfireAppender.java:49) Error occured while processing packet:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: session is not available

at net.sf.cindy.impl.ChannelSession.write(ChannelSession.java:329)

at net.sf.jml.protocol.MsnSession.sendAsynchronousMessage(MsnSession.java:182)

at net.sf.jml.impl.BasicMessenger.send(BasicMessenger.java:119)

at net.sf.jml.impl.AbstractMessenger.send(AbstractMessenger.java:103)

at net.sf.jml.impl.SimpleMessenger.newSwitchboard(SimpleMessenger.java:36)

at net.sf.jml.impl.BasicMessenger.sendText(BasicMessenger.java:223)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.protocols.msn.MSNSession.sendMessage(MSNSessi on.java:378)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.BaseTransport.processPacket(BaseTransport.jav a:228)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.BaseTransport.processPacket(BaseTransport.jav a:176)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.component.InternalComponentManager$RoutableComponent. process(InternalComponentManager.java:490)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.MessageRouter.route(MessageRouter.java:104)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:71)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.SessionPacketRouter.route(SessionPacketRouter.java:12 2)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.SessionPacketRouter.route(SessionPacketRouter.java:70 )

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.multiplex.MultiplexerPacketHandler.route(MultiplexerP acketHandler.java:164)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.MultiplexerStanzaHandler.processRoute(Multiplexer StanzaHandler.java:89)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.MultiplexerStanzaHandler.processUnknowPacket(Mult iplexerStanzaHandler.java:96)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:258)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:153)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:703)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:362)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:54)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:800)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:62)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:200)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:362)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:54)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:800)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :266)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:326)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 885)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

i also tried to enable the debug log, but there is too much traffic. i can’t see there anything.

If you enable debug logging and send it my way, I can parse through “the crap”. =D I know there’s a lot of it. I switched to using log4j btw so if you want I can figure out if there’s something I can tell you to do to make MSN log to a different place than the rest of the messages. (not sure how easily that’ll work though) Unfortunately by the time you’ve seen the error you posted there, “something” has already occured to cause you to be disconnected. It’s that something that I need to see. =/

i have sent to your email the collected debug logs.

did you find anything in our logs?

any update on this?

i have now running 1.1.2 and it worked for about 1 day, then it was gone … (need to restart the transport)

another question, why is taking the resgitration listing so long (about 1 minute) for only displaying online msn registrations -> about 60?

I don’t know about the online MSN registrations unless you are running out of memory … if you are running out of memory that would explain the other issues you are having as well. How much memory do you have on that machine and how much have you granted the JVM?

i have enough memory -> reserved 2GB for openfire and about 300MB are used

Well I never did see anything particular that made sense with your logs. I couldn’t even find the disconnections. Do you have a feel for where you think it’s dieing?

no, but perhaps there a second bug like the file transfer one. it seems much better after that fix.

Maybe you are receiving some command that’s booting you? Hrm. It’s possible. But I just didn’t see anything in the logs that really told me that. I’ll try to do another scan.

I’d like to send you another batch of logs as well. We have been using the latest version you offered but everyone can only seem to stay connected for about 20 Minutes… I’ve tried Pandion with the same effect as well.

so now it’s gone after 3 days… but also plugin restart did’nt get it back working

last message in debug log i see is this one:

2007.09.09 16:22:46 Received presence packet:

/code

after i copied the same version over the old one, msn got working again.

Looks like a fresh MSN registration. Is that what you are doing every time? (registering fresh) Or if not, why this time?

i tried all - only setting presence, setting presence offline / online , setting presence offline, register new , setting presence online…

i have normal about 50-60 msn user online, but this time no one was online. so it it isn’t working on any kind of situation. interesting is that this a plugin restart not solved the problem - only a copy over (what sould be the same) have solved the issue.

so there have to be a important change between 1.1.0beta2 and 1.1.0.

If there was it sure isn’t affecting a lot of people. =/ Including myself. (I use MSN a lot to chat with folk) Which account is yours in those logs you sent me btw? That might help me track things down. (if you want, ping me via PM to tell me so you don’t have to post it here)

i’m sure it have nothing todo with my account. i also not get the failure on my test server nor on our company internal server. but this one where the error occurs has about 27.000 registerted gateway accounts (mostly msn), so that’s a big difference.

The point is not that your account is busted, the point is I need something to look for in the logs to try to figure out when you got booted.

LOL Why does everyone always assume that I’m saying their account is broken?