MSN transport general question

Hi all,

I am really in love with Jive IM. We just started using it here in our company to run our internal IM server and it is great software. This said, I would like to ask the experts out there the following:

• What is the status of MSN support on Jive? What components are available for this purpose?

• I want my employees to be able to add only a few selected MSN addresses, i.e. I don’'t want them adding whoever they want. Is this possible somehow?

Thanks!

Matheus

i think PyMSN-t transport is already tested to work with JM.

as about restricting adding contacts. I dont think it’'s possible. Maybe there is an option to not to get roster from server then registering transport, but then you still be able to add any contact to your roster i think.

Hey Matheus,

Like wroot said, PyMSNt was tested successfully with JM 2.2. Regarding the restriction question I think that that is not feasible since it is always possible to log into the MSN network using MSN Messenger and add any contact you want.

The only possibility I can think of is to wrap the gateway and filter any contact that is not desirable. But in order to do that you have to understand how PyMSN works to ensure that it won’'t break due to an unexpected state.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi all!

I installed the pymsn transport. Using netstat -an shows the connection it’‘s ok and with Psi I discover the service fine. However it wont let me register. The option is greyed out even though it’'s enabled in the config.xml

Can anyone help me here please?

Thanks!

Hey KLineD,

Are you using the latest nightly build or the beta 1 version? A problem in beta 1 was fixed regarding the register option being greyed out so you should use the latest nightly build instead.

Regards,

– Gato

The buid says Jive 2.2.0 Beta 1 July 13 2005

I didn’'t knew there was a new one!

However the latest release I see in http://www.jivesoftware.org/nightly.jsp

is jive_messenger_2005-07-13.zip July 13, 2005

Which is the one I’'ve got I think

Message was edited by:

KLineD

Have you installed this file http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/messenger/dailybuilds/jive_messenger_2005-07- 13.zip?

– Gato

No I just realized that the one I’‘ve got was the one offered in the front page. I just downloaded the daily build and I’'m going to install it. Wish me luck

Now I installed the latest build. I don’'t get the nice windows gui console the previous build gave me but the server is running fine.

Again I can discover the service fine, but the option to register is greyed out.

for what is worth, this is my config.xml from pymsnt

Could you open the XML window in Psi (or press F12 when using Exodus) and post the XML packets that your client is getting when doing a disco#info request? This will help me discard any server issue.

Thanks,

– Gato

Message was edited by:

KLineD

Ok. Since your server hostname is “oleac”, your msn gateway should be configured to be “msn.oleac” instead of “msn.novutek.com”. Try doing that modification in the PyMSN config file and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

– Gato

Thanks a lot man… really.

I can connect now. The only problem is that I’‘ve got 76 authorizations!!! I wasn’'t expecting that.

yeaaah And authorization system in Psi is pretty nasty, too much clicking. i like it’'s done in Exodus, it opens as much dialogs as authorizations comes. And you can just click fast Accept or Deny.

I like Psi because is similar to ICQ and right now here at work they use ICQCorp for internal comunications. That was the whole point of installing JM as a Jabber server, to ditch icqcorp (plagued with bugs) and use an open, better alternative

dont get me wrong. i was talking about authorization mechanics:) I like Psi, it can easily handle a lot of accounts in one roster window, and it has nice, simple design. Though we didnt choose Psi for our deployment. Check MUC, it doesnt support some features. For example Psi doesnt show JM MUC room’'s topic.

Im so sorry i am very new in this.

I install jive in an old RH9 and works great!, but i need to mount the MSN gateway.

How can i do this?

I reed before that some usa PyMSN but in the moment of the instalation doesnt work, please help!..

This is the error:

./PyMSNt

/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/twisted/words/init.py:21: UserWarning:

Some body can help me?

Thank a lot

Your are missing some twisted modules

From twisted you will need: Twisted, Twisted Web, Twisted Words, Twisted Xish

Then you will also need PyOpenSSL, as well as OpenSSL

If you still have troubles do a search for PyMSN as there are numerous threads about the PyTransport series like this http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=15291

Best of Luck

Peter