MSN/YAHOO Nickname (the own) troubles

At the moment, my Openfire 3.5.1. with current plugin does not send any name to MSN or Yahoo. The other side gets either the default of MSN (which is the first name) or whatever was set by clients connecting directly. In case of Yahoo it just shows the username set at registration.

Is this an error and should it work or is this a known missing feature?

Usernames are set in the gateway options of course but briefly ignored for all my users.

What exactly does the property:

“plugin.gateway.msn.autonickname” do? It’s currently set do “true”.

No.2 wrote:

“plugin.gateway.msn.autonickname” do? It’s currently set do “true”.

This property related to “Enable nickname auto-updates” option in MSN options. If it’s set to true your contacts custom nicknames (that you have set yourself) won’t stick and will be changed to what is set by them on the MSN server. I have disabled that cause i wish to name my contacts myself.

As for the main problem. Are you able to push your nickname change to your contacts with original MSN client? Maybe they have the same setting to save their own naming, so you changes won’t be seen to them. And that’s it correct behavior in my opinion. Client’s owner should control the way his contact list looks like. I think the same is with ICQ.

(Autoupdate): Thanks, that explains another thing I planned to analyze

It doesn’t explain my other issue. I tried with the official client (or to be precise: the webmessenger), when I change my Nickname there, others see it. If I login with Miranda directly, the name change is accepted as well. Just if I use Spark/Openfire the old name stays. I don’t mind people changing my name to something comfortable. In fact I agree that my contact list is mine and I name whomever I like whatever I like

My problem is: We are using Openfire in a company, so we have many people that have an MSN account they only use via Openfire.

So the account is registered and then included in openfire. When others add my account MSN sets my first name as screenname. The “name” setting in the backend of the gateway is ignored.

This is not the best for a corporate environment Most people are barely able to switch on their PC, I can’t assume they know how to change a screenname. So I need to provide them with a meaningful screenname (like “Company - Name”), but I don’t want to log everyone into webmessenger first, set a name and log out again…this is a very dirty workaround for something that actually looks quite simple.

Exactly the same for my Yahoo. Absolutely no screenname is set here (so people show up with their Yahoo-Login-Name).

I think this can be related to the issue discussed here http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/173601#173601

Not even IM gateway related, but Spark/Openfire. E.g. when doing search in Spark and then adding a contact, Spark adds it with username and not using nickname field.

But the “problem” shows up on the other side…for someone using a normal MSN-Client. And a screenname can be entered within the setup of the admin-backend of the gateway so I don’t really see the connection to Spark (but I’m willingto have it explained).

Concerning Yahoo: It seems to me that showing only loginname and no self defined screenname is normal for Yahoo. You can only rename others for yourself in your contactlist but not for others. So I take back any complaints about that behaviour

The gist of it is, what you want to happen is not supported right now. The nickname field is ignored for MSN actually. (when registering) It’s only there because the IRC transport needs it and I haven’t put the javascript code in place to have it not show that field for non-IRC transports. Your “screen name” is never set in MSN or any of the transports or that matter. In theory I was going to pull this information from the vcard. (nickname, if that’s not there first and last name — that sort of thing)

No.2 wrote:

But the “problem” shows up on the other side…for someone using a normal MSN-Client. And a screenname can be entered within the setup of the admin-backend of the gateway so I don’t really see the connection to Spark (but I’m willingto have it explained).

Daniel can explain that better. I dont know how outside users contact with Spark via IM Gateway. Is it gateway sending all contact info or is it Spark sending that info through a gateway (after taking that info from a gateway backend).

Thank you Thats not really what I liked to hear but its a good explanation for the behaviour (And, once, not my fault yay!).

Em…is there any rough schedule if or when you will implement it?

It’s those small things that piss off my users…they dont care about security or Open Source. They want it to behave smoothly and look nice… emphasis on the latter one, thats why they like Windows

I’m afraid not. The issue is: GATE-317

I’m trying to work in some time to work on the IM Gateway plugin but other things have taken priority lately. =/