MUC log feature question

Hello, I recently discovered OpenFire/Spark and I am wondering if the following feature is supported. Assuming a persistent MUC, I would like to have users be able to see the discussion history (a little bit like XChat). When the user login, they should see the past history of the discussion:

1- For the last X days with the clear indication showing when they left the discussion (like XChat but also recording while off-line), or

2- If they were absent for Y days (with Y > X), the last Y days should be displayed to catchup with what was discussed.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Thierry Thelliez

Hey Thierry,

You can control from Openfire the amount of history to keep on the server. By default it keeps the last 25 messages (including notifications of users joining or leaving the room). Log into the admin console of Openfire and go to Group Chat --> History Settings. Currently it’s not possible to configure by number of days but number of messages. If you have Java experience you can easily extend Openfire to include history by days.

Regards,

– Gato

Thanks for your answer Gato,

Thinking about it, we could simplify the requirements to:

Show all the last messages since the last login, plus some (to help remembering the discussion context). In other words, if I have not logged in since yesterday noon, show me everything since yesterday morning.

Before I dive into it, could you please tell me more about the UI when you look at the history. Is that like XChat where you can see the history in the same window as you type your new messages? Or is that split, like with Microsoft Instant Messenger where you explicitly have to call an history window? We would prefer the XChat approach.

Thanks again,

Thierry

Hey Thierry,

thelliez wrote:

Show all the last messages since the last login, plus some (to help remembering the discussion context). In other words, if I have not logged in since yesterday noon, show me everything since yesterday morning.

As I said, room history does not go by time or last login but rather by amount of messages in history. Anyway, it’d be possible to extend Openfire to support your case.

Before I dive into it, could you please tell me more about the UI when you look at the history. Is that like XChat where you can see the history in the same window as you type your new messages? Or is that split, like with Microsoft Instant Messenger where you explicitly have to call an history window? We would prefer the XChat approach.

XMPP specifies how server and clients should communicate. In the case of MUC, the server will send the history to the client and it’s up to the client to decide how to show it. All of the clients that I know will show the history in the same chat window. You can do a very quick test with your preferred client. Just log in, join a room, send a few messages, leave the room and join again. You will see that you will get the room history in the same window.

Regards,

– Gato

Hello,

From what I understood, conference room logs in openfire are not stored in database ad vitam, am I right ? If yes, how long are they actually kept in the last version ? (I read different confusing information in other messages of this forum)

I would like to have conference room logs (of any date) served by a web server for instance. Would it be possible with openfire ? (might it be thanks to a plugin…)

Best regards,

Pierre