MUC logging settings (need explanation)

“Flush interval - n” and “batch size - m”. Can you give me more explanation about this? It writes m last messages every n seconds to log? And is it possible to clear room history in some preffered intervals. For now i have only noticed that history is cleared after server restart and maybe after some large interval (next day).

Hey wroot,

“Flush interval - n” and “batch size - m”. Can you

give me more explanation about this? It writes m last

messages every n seconds to log?

We use a background thread that queues the room messages and logs them to the database periodically. The “Flush interval” controls the frequency to use for logging messages to the database and “batch size” refers to the number of messages to pop from the queue. Since we are using a FIFO method we are logging the oldest messages first.

And is it possible

to clear room history in some preffered intervals.

For now i have only noticed that history is cleared

after server restart and maybe after some large

interval (next day).

The history policy to use for all rooms can be configured from the admin console (see Group Chat → History Settings). Currently it’'s not possible to clear the room history of a given room on demand.

The room keeps it’‘s history in the database if and only if the room is logging its conversation to the database. So when a room gets loaded from the database it’'s history is retrieved using the logged information. However, the history will include messages no older than 2 days ago. Maybe that is way you noticed that the history is empty in some occasions.

Regards,

– Gato

Currently it’'s not possible to clear the room history of a given room on demand.

Is there a JIRA thread for this?

However, the history will include messages no older than 2 days ago. Maybe that is way you noticed that the history is empty in some occasions.

I’'m not sure about this. But room history is cleared after server restart. Cant be 100% guarantee, but i think it does so. This room is logging and persistent.And, last week i have installed Exodus in one department and there was a long conversation in MUC, and it has dissapeared on next day, though maybe i have restarted server in that time. Anyway, i would like to set some time value for history showing. Like in Miranda "Show messages not older than n secs/mins. Because now i can only show any number of messages for 2 days or donot show at all. Old messages are not related to new conversation and bothers my users:)

Currently it’'s not possible to clear the room

history of a given room on demand.

Is there a JIRA thread for this?

Issue JM-292 created.

However, the history will include messages no older

than 2 days ago. Maybe that is way you noticed that

the history is empty in some occasions.

I’'m not sure about this. But room history is cleared

after server restart. Cant be 100% guarantee, but i

think it does so. This room is logging and

persistent.And, last week i have installed Exodus in

one department and there was a long conversation in

MUC, and it has dissapeared on next day, though maybe

i have restarted server in that time. Anyway, i would

like to set some time value for history showing. Like

in Miranda "Show messages not older than n secs/mins.

Because now i can only show any number of messages

for 2 days or donot show at all. Old messages are not

related to new conversation and bothers my users:)

There are two ways to control the history that a client will receive.

1. Keep in the server a certain amount of history

The amount of history to keep is regulated by the history policy defined in the Admin Console. Moreover, when a room is loaded from the database only messages up to 2 days are loaded into memory.

1. Specify the amount of history to receive when joining a room

This is the preferred way for clients to control the amount of history to receive. May be the problem is that not all the clients allow to set this parameter? For more information follow this link: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html#enter-managehistory

Regards,

– Gato

Issue JM-292 created.

Great. Voted:)

As about second part, there was a discussion about this on today’'s (May 11) Jive Group Chat (look for its transcript here: http://www.jivesoftware.org/group-chat.jsp). Gato have agred to create history filter based on message age (minutes). This is a JIRA issue - JM-294. Anyone can vote for it. Matt, you can vote too;)

and here is my a week old Exodus feature request related to this topic:

http://jabberstudio.org/projects/exodus/features/view.php?id=4947