Multiple Domains

We have an active directory with Three Domains… (One is the parent domain. i.e. abcompany.com)

The other two are child domains… na.abcompany.com and eaap.abcompany.com. I can install a Wildfire server for each domain not a problem… However, I can not get the search to span both domains. Or even give me an option to add a server to the drop down… Am I doing something wrong.

I am also facing a similar situation

The AD is setup as xyz.com with two domains us.xyz.com and in.xyz.com

when I configure Wildfire to query xyz.com, I do not get any list of users, whereas it works for querying in.xyz.com

so I need to configure one server each for in.xyz.com and us.xyz.com

then case, the JIDs would also differ though all users are working for xyz.com and there would not be a standard JID like username@xyz.com

I have also not tried out the server to server communication between in and us and need suggestions on it

Is there any solution / workaround setup for such environments?

Set up different Wildfire servers for each tree, and then enable server-to-server. This will also have the benefit of having JIDs that are more appropriate. sam.johnson@na.yourcompany.com messaging tony.blair@uk.yourcompany.com

I have a solution, try this…

<host>GLOBAL CATALOG SERVER</host>

<port>3268</port>

<baseDN>dc=FORSETROOT;dc=com</baseDN>

and…

if you allowed users to have the same SAM account names in multiple domains, you will have a problem. You can change to use the user’'s email or UPN, but thats your call. The key is to query the GC, on port 3268 and NOT ldap on 389.

Success!!! Yeah! Tried the Port 3268 instead of 389 (Note: all of our Domain Controllers are Global Catalog Servers (Note: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/24311c41-d2a1-4e72-a54f-1 50483fa885a1033.mspx?mfr=true for explaination of Global Catalog Server Operation)

This did Slow down the Authentication Time… But not a lot…

However, now I get an error whenever I perform a Search from Spark Client… (Maybe it needs to allow more time for the AD search?)

P.S. I upgraded to 3.2.2 of Wildfire and 1.3.0 of the Search Plug-in… No change Still dies…

Message was edited by: cneal

Well, can you post the message? Does Wildire/Openfire show anything in the same time frame?

Spark Client says unable to contact search service.

Found a better article on Searching the Global Catalog. (Just for Reference)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/distrib/dsbc _nar_bsad.mspx?mfr=true

Message was edited by: cneal

Are you able to search from within wildfire?

admin console -> user groups tab - > User search

Does this work?

Do you have the search pluggin installed?

is it enabled? admin console -> server tab -> search properties

Hi Chris,

If you do have the search plugin installed, what version is it? There is a problem with version 1.3.0 and LDAP so you’'ll want to upgrade to 1.3.1 which you can find attached to this post.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yes… Search at the server works… Just not from SPARK…

Yes… The plug-in is installed and enabled… (v1.3.0)

That fixed it… YEAH!

hi cneal,

i would like to know how do you go about on solving this issue? able to provide some step by step kinda of guide for me?

i had read the previous thread saying you could either

1. do a server-to-server configuration or

2. using the following codes:

but i cant understand what i am supposed to do in the first step or where am i supposed to place the codes listed in step 2.

had read http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/Server+to+Server+HowTo but i am juz not a techincal person.

any help is appreciated. thanks

That’‘s really strange - I’‘ve been using that config for about 10 months now (4 domains, 1 forest) with a single server and the user search from Spark is fine so it’'s definately possible.

managed to solve the problem.

thanks for the reply.

here’'s my solution

Message was edited by: julenisse

That’'s not really the same thing; I have 1 openfire server serving 4 Windows AD Domains.

If you were to use a server for each domain, then that’'s just a standard 1 server to 1 domain setup with multiple jabber domains.

DeeJay wrote:

That’'s not really the same thing; I have 1 openfire server serving 4 Windows AD Domains.

If you were to use a server for each domain, then that’'s just a standard 1 server to 1 domain setup with multiple jabber domains.

currently, i am doing a test on both environments which you had mentioned.

so far, i had managed to solve the 1 server to 1 domain setup.

able to strike some light on how to go about on configuring 1 sever to many window domains?