Multiple Login Behavior

Our Resource Policy is set to Never Kick. This allows multiple logins by user as long as the resource is different. I want to confirm the behavior though when mulitple clients are logged in under 1 user. It sounds like the last active client will get the message when it is sent. If that is the case then what is considered active? Does it go by last login? Does it go by last login time? Can I get some examples of how this works?

Thanks,

Nathan

npalmer wrote:

Our Resource Policy is set to Never Kick. This allows multiple logins by user as long as the resource is different.

Not exactly. We have Always kick set and we can login with different resources. This kicking option is for users with same resource (or without any). So Never kick shouldnt let another user with same JID or JID/resource to login if that is already logged in. Always kick will kick older logged user and let login new one.

Can I get some examples of how this works?

Dont know exact answer, but i would guess it should watch messaging. I mean the user who has send message packets more recently should be active one. I could be wrong.

Hi,

you may really want to test how Openfire did implement it as the RFC contains a lot of SHOULDs instead of MUSTs as far as I remember.

If you send a message to a JID with a resource (x@a.b/home)

• with a negative priority the message should (or must ??) be dropped.

• with a positive priority it will be delivered.

If you send a message to a JID without resource (x@a.b) Openfire decides which resource gets the message, this should be based on last activity or the priority.

LG

PS: As Oleg did post, the resource policy has nothing to do with this and within the web admin console you may read “XMPP allows multiple logins to the same user account by assigning a unique “resource name” to each connection. If a connection requests a resource name that is already in use, the server must decide how to handle the conflict. …” I guess that most users prefer “Always kick” to be able to re-login with the same resource if a client hangs.

I didn’t realize that this was how it works. So that’s why we get an error if we try to login with the same resource. The never kick option was why it did that.

Basically we’re trying to set it up so that our phones (PocketPC) will login to the server as well and when we are out of the office we will still be available. But we need to make sure that it sends the message to the phone and not the PC. Ideally we want this to happen without making sure that the office client is logged out. Also we’d like to find a great PocketPC client but that’s another issue.

Thanks,

Nathan

you can also check this JM-14 (should be implemented in current versions)