Multiple session chat support

Is there a way within the Wildfire server to have a message go to two session simultaneously.

Meaning, we have many users that logon to our Wildfire server with two machines, developer machine and standard use machine. With the resource field being different the server knows which one is which however our chat clients (mostly Gaim, Trillian and Spark) do not have any way of picking which session to send to.

Does this even make sense?

For example, I want to send a message from my session to jdoe@jabber. The server has two sessions with that username active (jdoe@jabber/Gaim and jdoe@jabber/int-Gaim). However I have no way of picking and I dont want to pick, I want the message to go to both session automatically.

Is this possible?

Loonybin88

Message was edited by: loonybin88

The problem I think is that it is confusing for people who are used to single resource even if spark gaim and trillian show a single user with multiple login . Psi allow you to see those sessions but it only show as one user but if you hover the mouse above that user you will see the clients running. your suggestion of abality to send messages to all the clients sound a good solution.

regards,

wmhtet

Yeah I found that PSI will allow you to choose which session to send a message to. The problem is what session is the user actually on.

If the user is on his development box and not monitoring his non development box will he know he has a message waiting for him. No he wont.

We are talking about creating a plugin that looks to see what session has been idle the longest, but this really wont work all that well due to client heartbeats.

So back to the drawing board…

Loonybin88

We found the multiple resource thing to be confusing for users both on the sending and receiving end. We’'re not even quite sure why the feature was created, to be honest.

In our situation, we just make sure a user only logs in with one resouce - we configure all clients to use the same resource. When when a user logs into a client, it kicks the other client one off the server, so a user is only ever signed in once. No more confusion as to where people really are. grin.

When when a user logs into a

client, it kicks the other client one off the server,

so a user is only ever signed in once. No more

confusion as to where people really are. grin.

Yes. But what about Reconnect function?